Video: Sunny Anderson shares her Christmas cookie recipe
Recipe: Red velvet cookies
- 2 sticks salted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon red coloring gel
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 21/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup pecan halves, gently chopped
1. Cream the butter and sugars. In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or a bowl with a hand mixer, cream butter, sugar and light brown sugar until fluffy and slightly lighter in color, about 5 minutes. Don't forget to scrape the sides of the bowl when it looks like it needs it.
2. Combine and add the wet ingredients. In a medium bowl whisk eggs, coloring gel and vanilla extract. Add to the creamed butter and sugar mixture and blend until combined, scraping the sides as you go.
3. Sift and add dry ingredients. In a medium bowl sift together the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder. Add in thirds to the large bowl, mixing and scraping the sides between each addition until completely combined. Don't be afraid to overwork the batter, just get it mixed in.
4. Add chips and nuts. Pour in the white chocolate chips and pecans then mix on low until combined.
5. Bake the cookies. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Get a bowl of water to keep your hands moist so the dough doesn't stick to them. Dip your hands in the water, then using a spoon scoop enough dough out to form a ball about the size of a golf ball. Place each dough ball on the sheet at least 1-inch apart and with a moist palm, press each ball flat. Bake for 15-16 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
Cooking time: 15-16 minutes, in batches
Recipe: German chocolate coookies
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa (recommended: Hershey's)
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup shredded coconut (recommended: Baker's Angel Flake Coconut, Sweetened)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a stand mixer or large bowl using a hand mixer blend butter, both sugars, eggs, vanilla and cocoa. In a small bowl stir together flour, salt, and baking soda. Gradually add flour mixture into butter mixture and blend until combined. Stir in pecans, coconut and chocolate chips. Dough will be tight.
Using a small ice cream scoop or melon baller to make all the cookies the same size, about the size of a small golf ball or ping pong ball, drop onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets and bake about 8-9 minutes. Cool on a baking rack. To make bars press dough into a buttered 8X8-inch square baking pan and bake 20 to 25 minutes. Cut into squares when cooled.
Cooking time: 8-9 minutes, in batches
© 2013 NBCNews
Discuss: What did you think of this recipe?
How many stars would you give the dish? If you made changes, tell us how you customized it.