Video: Dinner time! Low-calorie lemon turkey cutlets
Recipe: Lemon turkey cutlets
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 4 boneless, skinless turkey breast cutlets (1 1/4 lb total), halved crosswise
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 thin lemon slices (from 1/2 lemon)
- 2 tbsp rinsed and drained capers or pitted green olives, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley (optional)
1. Combine flour with ¼ tsp each salt and pepper on shallow plate. Beat egg with 1 tbsp water in a shallow bowl. Dredge turkey in flour mixture until coated, shaking off excess. Dip in egg mixture to coat, allowing excess to drip off.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add turkey and cook, turning, until golden brown and almost cooked through, 6 to 7 minutes. Remove to plate.
3. Add lemon slices and capers to skillet and cook, stirring, until lemon is golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove lemon to plate. Add wine and then broth and simmer until slightly thickened, about 6 minutes.
4. Return turkey to skillet and stir in butter and parsley (if using). Simmer until turkey is cooked through, about 5 minutes longer. Top with lemon slices, if desired.
Leave out the lemon slices, if you prefer, and add 1 to 2 tbsp of fresh lemon juice in the last step for the same delicious hit of zing.
Try sprinkling with chopped cilantro or scallions, toasted coconut, and/or cashew pieces.
Makes 4 servings
Recipe: Eggplant lasagna
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 lb), cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 container (15 oz) part-skim ricotta
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt-free Italian herb seasoning
- 3 1/2 cup marinara sauce, warmed
- 12 whole wheat no-boil lasagna noodles (from 9 oz package)
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
1. Arrange eggplant in single layer on 2 racks. Sprinkle with 1 tsp salt. Let stand 10 minutes. Turn slices and repeat process. Briefly rinse eggplant and press firmly between 2 double layers of paper towels to dry.
2. Combine next 5 ingredients in bowl.
3. Coat slow cooker with cooking spray. Add 3/4 cup of the warm marinara. Top with 4 noodles, breaking into pieces to fit. Spread half of the ricotta mixture over noodles. Add 7 or 8 eggplant slices, overlapping to fit. Add 1 cup marinara and 1/4 cup of the shredded cheese. Repeat with 4 noodles, remaining ricotta, 7 or 8 eggplant slices, 1 cup marinara, and 1/4 cup shredded cheese. Top with 4 noodles and remaining 3/4 cup marinara.
4. Cover and cook until eggplant is very tender, 4 to 5 hours on low. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese over top. Cover and let stand until cheese melts, 5 minutes. Turn off slow cooker, uncover, and let stand 20 minutes.
Makes 6 servings
© 2013 NBCNews
Discuss: What did you think of this recipe?
How many stars would you give the dish? If you made changes, tell us how you customized it.