Video: Dinner time! Low-calorie lemon turkey cutlets
Recipe: Lemon turkey cutlets
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 4 boneless, skinless turkey breast cutlets (1 1/4 lb total), halved crosswise
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 thin lemon slices (from 1/2 lemon)
- 2 tbsp rinsed and drained capers or pitted green olives, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley (optional)
1. Combine flour with ¼ tsp each salt and pepper on shallow plate. Beat egg with 1 tbsp water in a shallow bowl. Dredge turkey in flour mixture until coated, shaking off excess. Dip in egg mixture to coat, allowing excess to drip off.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add turkey and cook, turning, until golden brown and almost cooked through, 6 to 7 minutes. Remove to plate.
3. Add lemon slices and capers to skillet and cook, stirring, until lemon is golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove lemon to plate. Add wine and then broth and simmer until slightly thickened, about 6 minutes.
4. Return turkey to skillet and stir in butter and parsley (if using). Simmer until turkey is cooked through, about 5 minutes longer. Top with lemon slices, if desired.
Leave out the lemon slices, if you prefer, and add 1 to 2 tbsp of fresh lemon juice in the last step for the same delicious hit of zing.
Try sprinkling with chopped cilantro or scallions, toasted coconut, and/or cashew pieces.
Makes 4 servings
Recipe: Eggplant lasagna
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 lb), cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 container (15 oz) part-skim ricotta
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt-free Italian herb seasoning
- 3 1/2 cup marinara sauce, warmed
- 12 whole wheat no-boil lasagna noodles (from 9 oz package)
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
1. Arrange eggplant in single layer on 2 racks. Sprinkle with 1 tsp salt. Let stand 10 minutes. Turn slices and repeat process. Briefly rinse eggplant and press firmly between 2 double layers of paper towels to dry.
2. Combine next 5 ingredients in bowl.
3. Coat slow cooker with cooking spray. Add 3/4 cup of the warm marinara. Top with 4 noodles, breaking into pieces to fit. Spread half of the ricotta mixture over noodles. Add 7 or 8 eggplant slices, overlapping to fit. Add 1 cup marinara and 1/4 cup of the shredded cheese. Repeat with 4 noodles, remaining ricotta, 7 or 8 eggplant slices, 1 cup marinara, and 1/4 cup shredded cheese. Top with 4 noodles and remaining 3/4 cup marinara.
4. Cover and cook until eggplant is very tender, 4 to 5 hours on low. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese over top. Cover and let stand until cheese melts, 5 minutes. Turn off slow cooker, uncover, and let stand 20 minutes.
Makes 6 servings
© 2013 NBCNews
Discuss: What did you think of this recipe?
How many stars would you give the dish? If you made changes, tell us how you customized it.
Hospital personnel were told to prepare for a "mass injury incident" after two people were reported injured in a shooting Friday at a high school in Colorado.