For a lonely heart in the modern world, digital dating can offer a unique advantage. More than 2,000 dating websites are dedicated to the pursuit of just the right kind of love.
- 'What Have We Done to You, Rosie?' Distraught Rose Kennedy on the Lobotomized Daughter She Didn't See for 20 Years
- Kelly Rutherford Arrives in Monaco to Fight for Custody: 'Everything Will Work Out'
- Baltimore Judge Denies Motion to Dismiss Charges Against Cops in Freddie Gray Case
- TV News Team Shooting Only Surviving Victim's Family Shares Details of Her Recovery From the Hospital Where They're Keeping Vigil
- Houston Teen Taking Selfies with Gun Accidentally Kills Himself
Bibliophiles can turn to Alikewise, which attempts to match strangers based on their taste in literature. Are you a nerd and proud of it? Geek 2 Geek pairs off “special” kindred spirits. Even Apple product fanatics can find true romance on Cupidtino.
“By going to a site that’s meant for people with your passion, there’s just a better chance that you and anyone you meet are going to have more to talk about and more to connect over,” said Jessica Massa, author of “The Gaggle: How to Find Love in the Post-Dating World.”
For the reportedly more than 40 million people who have tried their luck at online love, the ability to narrow searches by interest can make a big difference.
Angie Hasse, a Pilates instructor, spent two years on Match.com and eHarmony before trying Fitness Singles.
“To have fitness in common with the man that I would marry was important,” she told TODAY, “because I felt like we could be outside together, we could be active together, we wouldn't be just sitting on the couch together.”
That’s when she met her match in Wally Hasse, who is a triathlete. The couple tried hot yoga on their second date and knew it was meant to be.
“Online dating is challenging,” Angie said. “It's not easy by any means, but if you have a passion and you know where you want to go and you know what you want in the future, it's going to make it a whole lot easier.”
If these ultra-niche sites had been around when you were single, which one would you pick? Let us know in the comments!