Recipe: Baked pumpkins stuffed with maple cinnamon and apple bread pudding
- For pumpkins:
- 4 small pumpkins, weighing 1 pound or less, tops removed, insides scraped and deseeded
- For bread pudding:
- 3 cups whole milk
- 8 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Kosher salt
- 2 to 3 apples cut into 3/4-inch cubes to yield 1 cup
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pound rustic white bread, cut into 3/4-inch thick cubes to yield 1 cup
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- Confectioners’ sugar for garnish
- For butterscotch sauce:
- 2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
For bread pudding:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk the milk with the eggs, vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
2. Add the maple syrup, cinnamon, apples and bread; mix thoroughly.
3. Fill the pumpkins with bread pudding, place on a baking sheet and cook for about 45 minutes until pudding is firm; remove and set aside to cool.
4. When ready to serve, top each pumpkin with warm butterscotch sauce.
For butterscotch sauce:
1. Combine all the ingredients in a medium saucepan, bring to a boil and remove from the heat. Serve the stuffed pumpkins with the warm butterscotch sauce.
Makes four servings