Video: Cook up a hearty meal with canned goods
Recipe: Easy peach-cranberry crisp
- For the filling:
- 2 (16-ounce cans) sliced, canned peaches
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- Kosher salt
- For the topping:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and diced
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup oats, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
1. Mix the filling: In a bowl combine peaches, cranberries, flour, sugar, cinnamon, butter cubes and a tiny pinch of salt. Pour into an 8 x 8 baking dish.
2. Make the topping: In a bowl mix together flour, butter, brown sugar, oats, pumpkin pie spice and a tiny pinch of salt.
3. Top and bake: Sprinkle topping over fruit in dish and bake until top is golden brown and the edges are bubbling, about 30 to 35 minutes.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
Recipe: Salmon succotash
- 4 strips thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) jar or can pearl onions, drained
- 1 clove garlic, grated on a rasp
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can corn
- 1 (15-ounce) can lima beans
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (recommended: Frank
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
- 14 ounces canned pink salmon
1. Cook bacon:In a large pan fry bacon until crispy and remove to a paper towel-lined plate, reserving fat in pan.
2. Cook the vegetables:To the pan add the onions, garlic, a pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Cook until softened slightly and browned, about 5 minutes. Add corn, lima beans and cook to heat then sprinkle over flour and stir. Raise heat slightly and add hot sauce and stock, cooking until the stock slightly thickens.
3. Finish and serve:Stir in salmon and cook just a minute more, then add reserved bacon. Taste and season with a pinch of salt, if needed.
Makes 4 to 6 servings
© 2013 NBCNews
Gallery: 15 recipes for hearty, delicious fall meals
Discuss: What did you think of this recipe?
How many stars would you give the dish? If you made changes, tell us how you customized it.
We all love a good sale, and when you see that sign — 20 percent off, 30 percent off, 50 percent off — you assume you're getting a deal.