1. Headline
  1. Headline
Image: Jack Russell terrier staring at the camera.
Sylvie  /  AP
Ethan, a Jack Russell terrier, survived thanks to a witness, a firefighter who came to the rescue and a veterinarian who nursed him back to life.
By
updated 10/19/2012 6:53:12 PM ET 2012-10-19T22:53:12

A Jack Russell terrier has survived after being poisoned and buried alive — and he can thank the man who saw the ground wiggle.

Ethan came back to life on his third birthday after someone tried to kill him. He had a whole chain of saviors: the man who dug him up, the firefighters who rushed him off and a veterinarian who nursed him back to life.

Sabrina Zamora, president of an animal association in Charleville-Mezieres, 200 kilometers (125 miles) northeast of Paris, said Friday the little white dog with a black ear was "flat as a pancake" when he was dug up from his grave Tuesday near a lakeside pedestrian path.

Story: Pro bono for pit bull: Judge appoints lawyer for dog
  1. Stories from
    1. Husband Convicted of Murdering Wife with Lethal Injection of Nicotine
    2. Holly Williams Welcomes a Daughter
    3. Police Baffled by Utah Family of 5 Found Dead in Living Room
    4. Ashley Tisdale Goes Purple! See Her Fun New Hair Hue
    5. Mom Accused in Salt Poisoning of 5-Year-Old Says Child May Be Responsible for His Death

"It's extraordinary. We only see this in TV movies," said veterinarian Philippe Michon. "He came back to life and without a scratch. It's rather miraculous."

The vet said when firemen brought the dirt-covered terrier to his office "he was completely cold, he was barely breathing."

Michon used hot water bottles to warm up Ethan's seemingly lifeless body. The dog was so cold his veins had collapsed and it was hard to find one to hydrate him but within 24 hours the dog was back on his feet.

According to the veterinarian and Zamora, a man walking by just happened to see the ground moving — an apparent result of convulsions from the dog's poisoning. The man then got a shovel and dug the dog up.

Story: Panda cub had lung, liver problems

Ethan was identified through a microchip that showed all this happened on his third birthday.

His owner says he had given the dog away but police are investigating, Zamora said.

"(Ethan) had an unbelievable chain of luck," Michon said. "If the ground hadn't trembled, no one would have taken a shovel to it."

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Discuss:

Discussion comments

,

Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments

More on TODAY.com

  1. Peter Kramer / NBC

    Derek Jeter tells TODAY: ‘I consider myself young again’

    9/30/2014 10:30:02 PM +00:00 2014-09-30T22:30:02
  1. 20th Cenrtry Fox via Everett Col

    Should you see ‘Gone Girl’? From Affleck to Fincher, 4 reasons to buy a ticket

    9/30/2014 5:37:22 PM +00:00 2014-09-30T17:37:22
  1. CDC confirms first Ebola case in U.S.

    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has confirmed the first patient to accidentally carry Ebola to the United States has been diagnosed at a hospital in Dallas.

    9/30/2014 9:02:46 PM +00:00 2014-09-30T21:02:46
  1. J. Scott Applewhite / AP

    White House breach was ‘unacceptable,' Secret Service director testifies

    9/30/2014 6:37:10 PM +00:00 2014-09-30T18:37:10
  1. Detroit Lions via Twitter

    Fumble! NFL player injured while potty-training his puppy

    9/30/2014 4:23:14 PM +00:00 2014-09-30T16:23:14