1. Headline
  1. Headline
Image: Jack Russell terrier staring at the camera.
Sylvie  /  AP
Ethan, a Jack Russell terrier, survived thanks to a witness, a firefighter who came to the rescue and a veterinarian who nursed him back to life.
By
updated 10/19/2012 6:53:12 PM ET 2012-10-19T22:53:12

A Jack Russell terrier has survived after being poisoned and buried alive — and he can thank the man who saw the ground wiggle.

Ethan came back to life on his third birthday after someone tried to kill him. He had a whole chain of saviors: the man who dug him up, the firefighters who rushed him off and a veterinarian who nursed him back to life.

Sabrina Zamora, president of an animal association in Charleville-Mezieres, 200 kilometers (125 miles) northeast of Paris, said Friday the little white dog with a black ear was "flat as a pancake" when he was dug up from his grave Tuesday near a lakeside pedestrian path.

Story: Pro bono for pit bull: Judge appoints lawyer for dog
  1. Stories from
    1. Utah Doctor Martin MacNeill Is Sentenced for Killing His Wife
    2. Nicole Kidman, Keith Urban Say Tearful Goodbye to Her Father in a 'True Family Affair'
    3. How Avril Lavigne and Chad Kroeger Are Breaking Their Self-Imposed 'Marriage Rules'
    4. Nicky Hilton Shows Off Her (Giant) Engagement Ring (PHOTO)
    5. Adrian Peterson and the NFL's Struggle with Off-Field Violence

"It's extraordinary. We only see this in TV movies," said veterinarian Philippe Michon. "He came back to life and without a scratch. It's rather miraculous."

The vet said when firemen brought the dirt-covered terrier to his office "he was completely cold, he was barely breathing."

Michon used hot water bottles to warm up Ethan's seemingly lifeless body. The dog was so cold his veins had collapsed and it was hard to find one to hydrate him but within 24 hours the dog was back on his feet.

According to the veterinarian and Zamora, a man walking by just happened to see the ground moving — an apparent result of convulsions from the dog's poisoning. The man then got a shovel and dug the dog up.

Story: Panda cub had lung, liver problems

Ethan was identified through a microchip that showed all this happened on his third birthday.

His owner says he had given the dog away but police are investigating, Zamora said.

"(Ethan) had an unbelievable chain of luck," Michon said. "If the ground hadn't trembled, no one would have taken a shovel to it."

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Discuss:

Discussion comments

,

More on TODAY.com

  1. Alan Singer / NBCU Photo Bank

    'Cosby Show' turns 30, here's show's best parenting advice

    9/20/2014 12:23:51 PM +00:00 2014-09-20T12:23:51
  1. Yoshikazu Tsuno / AFP - Getty Images

    Sushi or Thai? Life’s too short! 9 things you’re over-thinking

    9/20/2014 1:08:04 PM +00:00 2014-09-20T13:08:04
  1. TODAY

    video Checky: the new app that wants to help you stay off your phones

    9/20/2014 1:17:23 PM +00:00 2014-09-20T13:17:23
  1. Jason Winslow / Splash News / Splash News

    Mama June and Sugar Bear of 'Honey Boo Boo' have called it quits

    9/19/2014 6:27:15 PM +00:00 2014-09-19T18:27:15