An Italian gossip magazine owned by former Premier Silvio Berlusconi published a 26-page spread of topless photos of Prince William's wife Kate on Monday despite legal action in France against the French magazine that published them first.
- Bernie Sanders Has Hernia Surgery - And Goes Back to Work Less Than a Day Later
- Nicholas Brendon Reveals He Tried to Kill Himself: 'I Cut My Wrists with a Steak Knife'
- Chris Rock's Ex-Wife Malaak Compton-Rock Says Child at Center of Dispute Is the U.S. Legally: 'The Welfare and Livelihood of This Child Has Always Been of Utmost Importance'
- FROM EW: Deadpool Gets Cheeky in His New International Poster
- North Carolina Family Holds Two Hospital Weddings in One Week Before Terminally Ill Father Dies
Chi hit newsstands on Monday, featuring a montage of photos taken while the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were on vacation at a relative's home in the south of France last month. They included the 14 pictures published by the popular French magazine Closer, which like Chi is owned by Berlusconi's Mondadori publishing house.Story: Duchess Kate topless pics: Paper preps 26-page spread
But the Chi spread ran the whole sequence of photos as the couple sunbathed on a terrace, including one shot of the princess putting sun cream on her backside that didn't appear in Closer.Will & Kate ride in war canoe, chat with the locals in Solomon Islands
The couple is hitting back hard against the publication of the images, which William's St. James's Palace called a "grotesque" invasion of their privacy.
More about the Royals
Later Monday, lawyers for the royal couple are due in court in Nanterre, France, to seek an injunction against Mondadori to prevent further dissemination of the images, which were also reproduced over the weekend by an Irish tabloid. The palace said it would seek damages from Mondadori.Story: Kate, William file lawsuit after French magazine publishes topless photo
And St. James's Palace said Sunday that family lawyers would file a criminal complaint against the unidentified photographer or photographers involved. The palace said it would be up to French prosecutors to decide whether to investigate and pursue a criminal case for breach of privacy or trespassing.
Chi editor Alfonso Signorini told The Associated Press over the weekend that he didn't fear legal action since the photos were already in the public domain following Closer's publication.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.