Video: One-pot wonder meal: Paella
Recipe: Paella valenciana
- 500 grams (7 or 8 medium pieces) chicken
- 400 grams (about 6 medium pieces) puro iberico pork
- 1 tablespoon pimenton dulce
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron
- Grated heirloom tomato
- 3 artichoke hearts
- Tabella beans (substitute lima beans 100 grams)
- Extra virgin olive oil (approx. 150 grams from valencia or spain)
- 320 grams bomba rice (80 grams per person)
- 100 grams organic rosemary (better if you have in your garden)
- Salt to taste
- Bottle water 1 1/2 liter reduced by half. 750 grams add rice
Pour the oil into the middle of the paella pan. Heat oil. When the oil begins to smoke add chicken and pork, and a bit of salt. Cook on medium heat. Once the meat has browned, add the vegetables. Saute for a few minutes.
Add paprika and saffron to pan. Cook for 10 seconds, then add the heirloom tomato. (It is important to add the tomato quickly so you do not burn the paprika causing a bitter taste.) Pour water into the pan. Only fill to the rim of the pan.
Once the water has reduced half way, add the rice. Salt to taste. The fire needs to be very high. The rice cooks in 16 minutes. Finally, add the rosemary along the top of the Paella. Cover with newspaper and wait 4 to 5 minutes.
Now, it is ready to go.
IMPORTANT: Traditional Valenciana Paella is a savory dish, NOT a sweet dish.
Recipe: Black Tuscan kale salad
- 1 bunch kale
- 3 tablespoons grated pecorino cheese
- 2 granny smith apples, sliced very thin
- 6 English breakfast radishes sliced thin
- 30 grams toasted marcona almonds from spain
- 1 whole preserved lemon
- 30 grams kalamata olives
- Lemon rosemary dressing
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
Slice the cleaned kale julienne style. Cut apples and radishes in mandolin. Hand-slice the almonds with a knife. Slice the preserved lemons very thin. Cut olives. Put all ingredients in a bowl and toss with dressing. Add salt and pepper to taste. Finish with grated pecorino and a trick for you to try at home, fried kale “chips.”
© 2013 NBCNews
Discuss: What did you think of this recipe?
How many stars would you give the dish? If you made changes, tell us how you customized it.
The Army is investigating possible sexual misconduct or sexual assault at the Space and Missile Defense Command at Fort Greely, Alaska, military and defense officials say.