WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — A motorcycle police officer escorting President Barack Obama's motorcade has died after being hit by a pickup truck.
- PEOPLE Editors Pick the Four Best Gowns of This Year's Cannes Film Festival
- Debi Mazar & Gabriele Corcos, Stars of Extra Virgin, Fuse Tofu & Berries for Summertime Treat
- Will Smith Raps Fresh Prince Theme Song with Son Jaden - and Dances with Alfonso Ribeiro!
- Ace Young and Diana DeGarmo Show Off Their Wedding Presents
- Amanda Bynes Tweets Again, Accuses NYPD Officer of Sexual Harassment
Palm Beach County Sheriff's spokeswoman Teri Barbera says the Jupiter police officer was on Interstate 95 Sunday afternoon preparing to shut down the roadway when he was struck by a Ford F-150.
He was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital. His identity has not been released.
Barbera says an investigation is ongoing and no charges have yet been filed against the driver.
Obama made a campaign appearance at the Palm Beach County Convention Center.
White House press secretary Jay Carney says the president was notified of the officer's death and "our thoughts and prayers are with the officer's family."
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.