Video: Spice up dinner with Portuguese specialties
Recipe: Piri piri shrimp
- 16 large shrimp (from south America of gulf)
- 1 cup of piri piri sauce
- 1 medium Spanish onion chopped fine
- 8 teeth garlic chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cups rice of choice
- 4 cups of water or chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon salt
Sweat till translucent. Add 2 cups rice of choice. Stir briefly off heat. Add 4 cups water or a chicken stock. Bring to boil and add 1 tablespoon salt. Lower heat to simmer and cover. Stir occasionally till water is evaporated. Set rice aside.
If using dried beans soak over night or if using black beans in a can just drain and give a rinse. Slice fresh pineapple and grill till charred with grill marks. Cut into diced piece.
With peel, head & tail on to protect flesh from scorching, place on a grill preferably or sautée pan and cook on both sides for about 2 minutes each side.
Sautée pineapple, black beans in butter and olive oil. Add rice and fresh picked cilantro. Place shrimp in a bowl and toss in 1 cup of piri piri sauce and place over rice. Place grilled shrimp on top and drizzle with piri piri sauce. Piri piri can be subbed with a chipotle or other red pepper sauce.
Recipe: Tomato gazpacho
- 6 large ripe tomatoes, cored and quartered
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 white onion, peeled and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups cubed day-old bread, crusts removed
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon raspberry vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground white pepper
In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, cucumber, pepper, onion, garlic, and bread. Toss in the oil and vinegars and season to taste with salt and pepper. Let the mixture marinate overnight.
Transfer to a blender and puree until very smooth. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve. Taste and adjust seasonings.
© 2013 NBCNews
Discuss: What did you think of this recipe?
How many stars would you give the dish? If you made changes, tell us how you customized it.
National Security Agency surveillance programs helped disrupt plots to bomb the New York Stock Exchange and the New York subway system, an FBI official told Congress on Tuesday.