SEATTLE — BreakingNews, the fastest source of breaking news on the web, today announced that it is the first-ever real-time news application to be featured exclusively on Samsung's SMART TV. BreakingNews delivers the latest headlines from hundreds of news sources, edited in real-time by a team of journalists who work around the globe, and around the clock. The new BreakingNews App will alert TV viewers when a story breaks while they’re watching their favorite programs.
More from TODAY.com
Why we’ve been obsessed with Jimmy Hoffa for 38 years
As the latest twist in the search for the body of Jimmy Hoffa commenced in a field north of Detroit on Monday, it continue...
- Katy Perry: Russell Brand dumped her via text
- It's lobster season! Healthy ways to cook up the crustacean
- Toddler maimed in lawn mower accident walks with new legs
- Cabbage Patch Kids wigs for babies go viral
- Why we’ve been obsessed with Jimmy Hoffa for 38 years
“Breaking news can happen anytime, even when you’re watching reruns of The Simpsons,” said Cory Bergman, General Manager of BreakingNews. “Our new connected TV app is an easy, lightweight way to learn about breaking news the moment it happens. Then you can turn to your favorite news channel or BreakingNews.com for more.”
BreakingNews App on the Samsung SMART TV:
· News As It Happens. Viewers can choose to see notifications only when news breaks. An alert appears at the bottom of their TV screen in real-time and disappears seconds later.
· Never Miss a Story. The BreakingNews ticker rotates all of the day’s headlines. New headlines appear in real-time and are represented with a different style so viewers are always up-to-date.
· Dig Deeper. Users can choose a keyword of any hot topic, at any time, and they will receive all of the headlines related to that specific topic.
For advertisers, the app offers the opportunity to engage with viewers through placement in the ticker as well as an immersive full screen interactive ad experience.
Consumers have turned to BreakingNews for the biggest news stories from across the U.S. and around the world. Visits to BreakingNews.com have grown 300 percent since October 2011 and time spent has increased to 18 minutes on average per visit.* The new app is produced by the same team that powers BreakingNews.com , the BreakingNews mobile apps, @breakingnews on Twitter and Breaking News on Facebook (www.facebook.com/breakingnews).
The BreakingNews App for Samsung TV is available for free and can be downloaded today from the Samsung App store: http://bit.ly/HNKhxs.
*Source: Omniture SiteCatalyst
BreakingNews brings you the biggest stories as they happen, 24 hours a day, from hundreds of news and eyewitness sources across the globe. We publish on BreakingNews.com, three mobile apps, @breakingnews and @breakingnewsUK on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Tumblr and StumbleUpon.
We're a startup inside msnbc.com, but we're a fully independent, agnostic news organization. Breaking News is headquartered in Seattle, Washington, and we also have editors based in New York and London. You can read more about what we're doing on our blog or on our @breaking Twitter account. We drink a lot of caffeine.
# # #