Video: Que rico! Seafood paella and Spanish tapas
Recipe: Seafood Paella
- 1 cup Calasparra/Bomba Rice
- 10 threads of saffron
- 1 cup sliced Spanish chorizo
- 1/4 cup of the following: diced red pepper, sliced scallion bottoms, Sofregit ( 1 onion small diced and cooked in olive oil, add 2 cups of tomato paste, slow toast down for 5 min) and Spanish onions that have been sautéed in olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup chicken breast/thigh meat
- 1 1/2 cup of lobster stock
- 1 1/2 chicken stock
- 1 1/2 vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 top neck/count neck clams
- 3 shrimp
- 15 mussels
- 1/2 cup of frozen English peas/blanched English peas
- 1/4 cup sliced scallion tops, olive oil and sea salt to garnish
Put garlic, onion, Sofregit, scallion bottoms, chicken, chorizo, salt and pepper in a paella pan and sautee for 4 to 5 minutes.
Add rice and saffron, stir around, evenly coating, and toast for 4 to 5 minutes. Evenly distribute/flatten out rice in pan, add all stocks and turn the heat up to high. Once boiling add the clams and cook 5 to 10 minutes till they open up and rice grains are clearly visible. Add mussels and turn down to medium heat, once mussels open add shrimp and peas, keep on medium heat till shrimp and rice are both cooked creating a crispy bottom called "Socarat", adding stock as necessary.
Garnish with olive oil, scallion tops and sea salt.
Recipe: Pan con tomate
- 1 baguette
- 1 clove of garlic
- One tomato
- Drizzle of green Spanish olive oil
Toast bread until golden, and rub with clove of garlic. Grate the tomato over a bowl using a box grater. Spoon tomato pulp on the toasted garlic bread, drizzle with a nice green Spanish olive oil and sea salt.
Recipe: Cauliflower a la plancha
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 teaspoon of pimento (or paprika)
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Fresh squeezed lemon
- Dash of cognac (optional)
Slice one head of cauliflower thinly and into small pieces, and season with salt. Heat olive oil on a griddle or plancha until hot, and add cauliflower with pimento, turning every once in a while until golden and caramelized. Steep raisins in a bowl with hot water and a bit of cognac for 5 minutes, then drain. Toss cauliflower with raisins, pine nuts, lemon juice and parsley.
© 2013 NBCNews
Discuss: What did you think of this recipe?
How many stars would you give the dish? If you made changes, tell us how you customized it.
North Korea fired three short-range missiles Saturday, South Korea’s Defense Ministry said, but the purpose of the launches was unknown.