PENSACOLA, Fla. — Fire officials say an electric cigarette exploded in a Florida man's mouth, severely burning his face and knocking out some of his front teeth.
More from TODAY.com
After years of silence, Monica Lewinsky speaks about cyber bullying
Monica Lewinsky is back in the public eye, and she's using the attention to bash bullying. Lewinsky got emotional on Monda...
- Watch Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder honor doctor onstage at concert
- Former 'American Idol' contestant Joanne Borgella dies at 32
- 'American Idol's' Scott MacIntyre hoping for new kidney in 6 months
- ‘Marcel the Shell’ returns, remains adorable in so-cute-it-hurts video
- After years of silence, Monica Lewinsky speaks about cyber bullying
North Bay Fire Department Division Chief Joseph Parker says it appears the cigarette's battery exploded while the man was smoking Monday night. Parker likened it to a bottle rocket going off in the man's mouth. He also lost part of his tongue.
Parker says the man had been using electric cigarettes to help him quit smoking.
Authorities don't know what model cigarette it was.
The victim is being treated at a Mobile, Ala., burn unit.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.