PENSACOLA, Fla. — Fire officials say an electric cigarette exploded in a Florida man's mouth, severely burning his face and knocking out some of his front teeth.
More from TODAY.com
Buying running shoes? Here’s what to expect
- 'Sex Box': Couples therapy or reality show trash?
- Food-themed hotels are popping up around the world
- Catch up on all the news of the week with ‘The Download’
- Missing Oscar dress worn by Lupita Nyong’o may be found
- Buying running shoes? Here’s what to expect
North Bay Fire Department Division Chief Joseph Parker says it appears the cigarette's battery exploded while the man was smoking Monday night. Parker likened it to a bottle rocket going off in the man's mouth. He also lost part of his tongue.
Parker says the man had been using electric cigarettes to help him quit smoking.
Authorities don't know what model cigarette it was.
The victim is being treated at a Mobile, Ala., burn unit.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.