PENSACOLA, Fla. — Fire officials say an electric cigarette exploded in a Florida man's mouth, severely burning his face and knocking out some of his front teeth.
More from TODAY.com
TODAY relives fun, laughs, love from 2014
- Ben Stiller, Steve Carell, more celebs blast 'Interview' cancellation
- Officials: North Korea behind Sony hack attack
- Rossen Reports redux: Some retailers still selling used lingerie
- Watch: Cyclist plowed over by leaping deer
- TODAY relives fun, laughs, love from 2014
North Bay Fire Department Division Chief Joseph Parker says it appears the cigarette's battery exploded while the man was smoking Monday night. Parker likened it to a bottle rocket going off in the man's mouth. He also lost part of his tongue.
Parker says the man had been using electric cigarettes to help him quit smoking.
Authorities don't know what model cigarette it was.
The victim is being treated at a Mobile, Ala., burn unit.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.