PENSACOLA, Fla. — Fire officials say an electric cigarette exploded in a Florida man's mouth, severely burning his face and knocking out some of his front teeth.
More from TODAY.com
Handlers of retired Marine hero, bomb-sniffing dog give thanks
Cpl. Juan Rodriguez's actions saved the dog's life, but he said, "she saved mine multiple times so it was only right."
- Why are you thankful this Thanksgiving? Show us! #WhyImThankful
- Read father's letter to girl whose sky lantern landed in his driveway
- Add Martha Stewart's Thanksgiving favorites to your holiday dinner
- Make Giada DeLaurentiis's Thanksgiving favorites for your family
- Handlers of retired Marine hero, bomb-sniffing dog give thanks
North Bay Fire Department Division Chief Joseph Parker says it appears the cigarette's battery exploded while the man was smoking Monday night. Parker likened it to a bottle rocket going off in the man's mouth. He also lost part of his tongue.
Parker says the man had been using electric cigarettes to help him quit smoking.
Authorities don't know what model cigarette it was.
The victim is being treated at a Mobile, Ala., burn unit.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.