PENSACOLA, Fla. — Fire officials say an electric cigarette exploded in a Florida man's mouth, severely burning his face and knocking out some of his front teeth.
More from TODAY.com
At Home with TODAY: Jenna Wolfe shows the love in Harper's nursery
- Nurse Kaci Hickox defies authorities with bike ride
- These savory candy corn look-alikes put the trick in your treats
- Relive Halloween 2013: Baywatch, the A-Team and more
- Were Rihanna, Miley Cyrus too sexy for amfAR gala?
- At Home with TODAY: Jenna Wolfe shows the love in Harper's nursery
North Bay Fire Department Division Chief Joseph Parker says it appears the cigarette's battery exploded while the man was smoking Monday night. Parker likened it to a bottle rocket going off in the man's mouth. He also lost part of his tongue.
Parker says the man had been using electric cigarettes to help him quit smoking.
Authorities don't know what model cigarette it was.
The victim is being treated at a Mobile, Ala., burn unit.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.