PENSACOLA, Fla. — Fire officials say an electric cigarette exploded in a Florida man's mouth, severely burning his face and knocking out some of his front teeth.
More from TODAY.com
Near-naked truth: Women strip down, talk body image in moving videos
This cool (and daring) video project will change how you define “beautiful.”
- Miley Cyrus' VMA date, Jesse Helt, is wanted in Oregon
- Watch Joe Biden flirt with a 108-year-old veteran: 'I'm the guy that loves you'
- Happy National Dog Day! Melt over these adorable viewer-submitted doggy pics
- Emmy beauty pros share 11 tips you can actually use in real life
- Near-naked truth: Women strip down, talk body image in moving videos
North Bay Fire Department Division Chief Joseph Parker says it appears the cigarette's battery exploded while the man was smoking Monday night. Parker likened it to a bottle rocket going off in the man's mouth. He also lost part of his tongue.
Parker says the man had been using electric cigarettes to help him quit smoking.
Authorities don't know what model cigarette it was.
The victim is being treated at a Mobile, Ala., burn unit.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.