PENSACOLA, Fla. — Fire officials say an electric cigarette exploded in a Florida man's mouth, severely burning his face and knocking out some of his front teeth.
More from TODAY.com
Watch therapy dog help boy, 6, move arm again after brain surgeries
At just the right moment, a dog named Tank gave a boy named Jack the motivation he needed to get moving again.
- Pirelli Calendar to feature first-ever plus-size model
- Swarmed! 8 tips on best mosquito bite treatments and repellents
- Best ATMs ever? See how this bank surprised customers in tearjerker ad
- Vacation selfies: Teens love 'em, adults not so much
- Watch therapy dog help boy, 6, move arm again after brain surgeries
North Bay Fire Department Division Chief Joseph Parker says it appears the cigarette's battery exploded while the man was smoking Monday night. Parker likened it to a bottle rocket going off in the man's mouth. He also lost part of his tongue.
Parker says the man had been using electric cigarettes to help him quit smoking.
Authorities don't know what model cigarette it was.
The victim is being treated at a Mobile, Ala., burn unit.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.