PENSACOLA, Fla. — Fire officials say an electric cigarette exploded in a Florida man's mouth, severely burning his face and knocking out some of his front teeth.
More from TODAY.com
TODAY's Takeaway: Time picks the pope, Mariah brings us home for the holidays
1. Time magazine’s managing editor Nancy Gibbs announced on TODAY the magazine’s pick for 2013 Person of the Year: Pope Fr...
- White House shares pics from Obama's trip for Mandela memorial
- Oprah Winfrey doesn't regret not having kids
- Prince William, Duchess Kate rock 3-D glasses
- Viral mash-up: Internet stars collide in YouTube Rewind 2013
- TODAY's Takeaway: Time picks the pope, Mariah brings us home for the holidays
North Bay Fire Department Division Chief Joseph Parker says it appears the cigarette's battery exploded while the man was smoking Monday night. Parker likened it to a bottle rocket going off in the man's mouth. He also lost part of his tongue.
Parker says the man had been using electric cigarettes to help him quit smoking.
Authorities don't know what model cigarette it was.
The victim is being treated at a Mobile, Ala., burn unit.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.