PENSACOLA, Fla. — Fire officials say an electric cigarette exploded in a Florida man's mouth, severely burning his face and knocking out some of his front teeth.
More from TODAY.com
5 ways to reinvent cranberries for Thanksgiving
Turkey and cranberry sauce have shared a plate in America since the 18th century, and it’s easy to see why. The tart-sweet...
- These 14 bundled babes don't care if it's cold outside
- You won't believe these delicious Thanksgving sides are gluten-free
- Save these sites and apps for the best Cyber Monday deals
- 22 photos that show the joy of adoption
- 5 ways to reinvent cranberries for Thanksgiving
North Bay Fire Department Division Chief Joseph Parker says it appears the cigarette's battery exploded while the man was smoking Monday night. Parker likened it to a bottle rocket going off in the man's mouth. He also lost part of his tongue.
Parker says the man had been using electric cigarettes to help him quit smoking.
Authorities don't know what model cigarette it was.
The victim is being treated at a Mobile, Ala., burn unit.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.