PENSACOLA, Fla. — Fire officials say an electric cigarette exploded in a Florida man's mouth, severely burning his face and knocking out some of his front teeth.
More from TODAY.com
First photos of Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt's wedding emerge
- Maroon 5 performs ‘Maps’ live on TODAY
- 'I am going home!' Watch cancer patient's touching reaction to going home
- Alleged photos of Jennifer Lawrence, Kate Upton leak
- Are you One Direction's best fan ever? Show us why!
- First photos of Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt's wedding emerge
North Bay Fire Department Division Chief Joseph Parker says it appears the cigarette's battery exploded while the man was smoking Monday night. Parker likened it to a bottle rocket going off in the man's mouth. He also lost part of his tongue.
Parker says the man had been using electric cigarettes to help him quit smoking.
Authorities don't know what model cigarette it was.
The victim is being treated at a Mobile, Ala., burn unit.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.