1. Headline
  1. Headline
By
updated 2/15/2012 2:54:03 PM ET 2012-02-15T19:54:03

Fire officials say an electric cigarette exploded in a Florida man's mouth, severely burning his face and knocking out some of his front teeth.

  1. More from TODAY.com
    1. 12 simple #StartTODAY tips to get healthy and organized

      #StartTODAY's experts Jill Martin, Jean Chatzky, Jenna Wolfe and Joy Bauer answered viewers questions on organizing, dieti...

    2. 'SNL' tackles Deflate-Gate with press-conference parody
    3. Donald Trump talks Miss Universe pageant, looking at presidential run
    4. Jason Mraz ‘pumped’ to be arts ambassador for California school
    5. Super Bowl advertisements will show tender moments of fatherhood

North Bay Fire Department Division Chief Joseph Parker says it appears the cigarette's battery exploded while the man was smoking Monday night. Parker likened it to a bottle rocket going off in the man's mouth. He also lost part of his tongue.

Parker says the man had been using electric cigarettes to help him quit smoking.

Authorities don't know what model cigarette it was.

The victim is being treated at a Mobile, Ala., burn unit.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Discuss:

Discussion comments

,

Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments