ACAPULCO, Mexico — A surprise search at an Acapulco prison netted two peacocks, 100 fighting cocks, 19 prostitutes, 100 plasma TVs and two sacks filled with marijuana, authorities told journalists on Tuesday.
- Vin Diesel Busts Out His Old Breakdancing Moves on Tonight Show (VIDEO)
- The Bachelorette's Andi Dorfman & Josh Murray Are Moving in Together
- Marine's Missing Pregnant Wife May Have Hidden Many Secrets
- Ariana Grande Opens Up About Her Confidence Problem
- Water-Main Break Floods UCLA, At Least 5 People Rescued
Police found six female inmates living in the male part of the prison, which was also the section where the peacocks were found, the BBC reported.
Police in the Mexican resort city also found several bottles of alcohol and knives, The Associated Press reported.
Guerrero state spokesman Arturo Martinez says federal and state police searched the prison before dawn Monday.
Martinez didn't say how the women, birds and the other banned objects got into the prison. He referred to the peacocks as "pets."
In July, prisoners in the northern state of Sonora were found to be raffling off a luxury cell fitted out with an air conditioner, refrigerator and DVD player, according to the BBC.
The resort city has been plagued by crime since last year when gangs began fighting for control after the arrest of Edgar Valdez Villarreal, also known as "La Barbie."
Cock fighting is popular in parts of Mexico.
Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.