ACAPULCO, Mexico — A surprise search at an Acapulco prison netted two peacocks, 100 fighting cocks, 19 prostitutes, 100 plasma TVs and two sacks filled with marijuana, authorities told journalists on Tuesday.
- KFC South Korea's New Double Down Sandwich Includes Three Animal Meats
- Elijah Wood and Peter Jackson Team Up for Epic Airline Safety Video
- Marcela Valladolid Expecting Second Child
- What's the One Beauty Sin the Rockettes Will Never Commit?
- Nick Jonas Talks Racy Photos, and How His Girlfriend Feels About His Sex Scenes
Police found six female inmates living in the male part of the prison, which was also the section where the peacocks were found, the BBC reported.
Police in the Mexican resort city also found several bottles of alcohol and knives, The Associated Press reported.
Guerrero state spokesman Arturo Martinez says federal and state police searched the prison before dawn Monday.
Martinez didn't say how the women, birds and the other banned objects got into the prison. He referred to the peacocks as "pets."
In July, prisoners in the northern state of Sonora were found to be raffling off a luxury cell fitted out with an air conditioner, refrigerator and DVD player, according to the BBC.
The resort city has been plagued by crime since last year when gangs began fighting for control after the arrest of Edgar Valdez Villarreal, also known as "La Barbie."
Cock fighting is popular in parts of Mexico.
Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.