ABINGTON, Mass. — The chairman of the school committee in Abington, Mass., is apologizing for a magic trick he performed before a televised meeting in which he appeared to tear the bra off a fellow committee member through her clothes.
- Chris Soules's Bachelor Blog: 'I Knew Things Were About to Get Very Real'
- Pretty Little Liars Recap: Ezra and Aria Break Up, Hanna Heads to Jail
- 19 Kids & Counting Recap: Jessa and Ben Receive Their Wedding Invitations, Shop for Flowers
- Jennifer Garner: My Favorite Role Is 'Mommy'
- Five Things You Need to Know About Connor Franta
The trick was performed Tuesday by Russell Fitzgerald, an amateur magician known to open meetings with a little sleight of hand. It was met with no laughs, just stunned silence.
Fitzgerald issued a written apology Wednesday for the embarrassment he caused committee member Ellen Killian and his unwitting accomplice, teacher Steve Shannon, The Enterprise of Brockton reported.
"My intention was to begin a purposeful school committee business meeting in a way which was enjoyable and lighthearted," he said. "I am sorry for the embarrassment this has caused."
"I was just as shocked as everybody else," Killian said. "I just want to make it clear I had no prior knowledge how his trick was going to end."
The teachers' union said Shannon was also unaware of the trick Fitzgerald had planned.
Fitzgerald said he would no longer perform tricks before meetings.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.