1. Headline
  1. Headline
updated 9/2/2011 2:44:45 PM ET 2011-09-02T18:44:45

Authorities say a toy poodle saved a life in Utah by leading firefighters through his owner's smoke-filled home to a teenager asleep in the basement.

The Salt Lake Tribune reports that the dog named Ted was spotted by paramedics responding to the fire in West Jordan early Friday. Officials say that when they tried to catch Ted to bring him outside, he headed downstairs instead.

They say he waited until they caught up with him, then led them to a 19-year-old man who was sleeping on a couch in the basement.

Authorities say the man was treated for smoke inhalation and the dog was not injured. A woman and two children had already escaped the fire, which was possibly caused by a gas leak.

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Discuss:

Discussion comments

,

Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments

More on TODAY.com

  1. Only enough for one: Experimental serum used on US Ebola patient

    A dose of “experimental serum” arrived in Liberia to be tried on a U.S. charity worker struggling for her life — but there was only enough for one of the two infected workers.

    7/31/2014 4:20:32 PM +00:00 2014-07-31T16:20:32
  1. Courtesy of Steve Mason

    Parents plead forgiveness for late daughter's $200K student-loan debt

    7/31/2014 7:10:12 PM +00:00 2014-07-31T19:10:12
  1. Courtesy of Tyler Doss

    Watch therapy dog help boy move arm again after brain surgeries

    7/31/2014 8:45:48 PM +00:00 2014-07-31T20:45:48
  1. Jason Merritt / Getty Images

    Naked cake! See Christina Aguilera's raunchy baby shower cake

    7/31/2014 7:12:53 PM +00:00 2014-07-31T19:12:53