To roast the beets for the salad:
1.Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Wash and dry beets.
3. Rub beets with oil and lightly season with salt
4. Place beets in roasting pan (Pyrex will work) and cover with foil and place in oven
5. Cooking time varies with size of beets. (SuperBall size: 30 minutes; ping-pong ball size: 45 minutes; lime size: 1 hour; lemon size: 1.5 hours.) Test doneness with a skewer. Skewer should go through without much resistance.
6. Let the beets cool for 3-5 minutes, but while they're still hot hold one at a time inside a paper towel and rub the skin off the beets. Clean dish towels work great, except for the mess.
To cook the fregula for the salad:
Fregula is a Sardinian pasta made from semolina and it looks like Israeli couscous. It is usually toasted in an oven before you buy it, and it has a nutty, toasty flavor. It cooks similar to other pastas.
1. Bring salted water to a boil
2. Add fregula. Stir occasionally to avoid sticking.
3. Strain when fregula has reached desired doneness (usually after 10-15 minutes).
To put the fregula salad together:
Mix all the ingredients in a non-reactive bowl. Toss and serve.