ORLANDO, Fla. — The lawyer who defended Casey Anthony has reportedly urged people to start "respecting the jury verdict," after she was found not guilty of murdering her 2-year-old daughter Caylee, prompting a public outcry.
- The Walking Dead Recap: Meet Deanna Monroe
- Which Downton Characters Need to Hook Up? Joanne Froggatt Weighs In
- No One Puts Beagle in a Corner - Not Even Roombas
- Will This 30-Something Woman Get Alzheimer's? Inside Her Decision - and the Results
- William Shatner Pays Tribute Leonard Nimoy on Twitter After Missing His Funeral
Anthony's July 5 acquittal shocked and enraged many around the country who had been following the case since Caylee's 2008 disappearance. Anger has spilled onto social media sites and elsewhere.
Her legal team said on Friday it had received an emailed death threat.
Anthony did not report her daughter's disappearance for a month and was arrested after telling a string of lies about the case to police. Caylee's remains were found in December 2008 near the home Casey Anthony shared with her parents.
Prosecutors alleged that Anthony suffocated her daughter with duct tape because motherhood interfered with her desire for a carefree life, but her lawyers said the girl drowned in an accident that snowballed out of control.
Some of the jurors who acquitted Anthony said they believe she bears some responsibility for her daughter's death but that prosecutors failed to prove that she murdered the child.
"We need to start respecting the jury verdict and decisions that the juries make," Jose Baez told Fox News late Sunday.
"Pundits and media personalities have no right to try and alter the life of any individual because of what they think may or may not have happened," he added.Story: Casey Anthony lies low on first day of freedom
Casey Anthony's whereabouts for her first week of freedom were a closely guarded secret Monday, known only to a select few as she tries to start a new life. Speculation was rife online about where she had gone: Prescott, Arizona, Columbus, Ohio, or San Carlos, California.
Her options could be limited, though, by lawsuits pending against her, the scorn of multitudes who think she was guilty of the killing and a criminal record from her convictions for lying to police.
Baez told Fox News that her lawyers are "certainly exploring all possibilities right now" when he was asked about whether she would enter a residential therapy program.Video: Casey Anthony walks out of jail (on this page)
He'd previously said that he hoped she could get counseling and treatment. Baez said he was foremost concerned about Anthony's safety, and struck out at media commentators who have been condemning Anthony as guilty despite the jury's verdict.
Experts who have helped other notorious defendants through rough times say she will have opportunities, but it won't be easy for the 25-year-old, who was but convicted of lying to investigators.
"Casey is in good hands," said Todd Macaluso, a former member of Anthony's defense team who declined to comment further.
Asked if Anthony planned to cash in on her fame, Baez said she has "certain rights as an individual in this country." Attorneys planned to handle Anthony's affairs in a "dignified manner," he said.
"If she decides she wants to speak publicly about it, she'll make that decision," he said.Story: Casey Anthony freed, heads for mystery destination
Baez did not respond Sunday to email and phone messages left by The Associated Press, nor did a lawyer representing her father and mother. And in the Fox News interview, Baez declined to talk about his client's whereabouts or state of mind.
Another former Anthony lawyer, Terry Lenamon, said he had no clue where she was headed, and that probably only a few people close to her knew.
"I wouldn't want anyone to know," he said. "I think she needs to go underground and I think she needs to spend some time to get her life back together."
Anthony's public vilification did not ease with her release from jail. "A baby killer was just set free!" Bree Thornton, 39, shouted as the SUV left the jail.
It won't be impossible for Anthony to get a fresh start, though it will be difficult, said Los Angeles-based attorney Thomas Mesereau. His clients have included the late singer Michael Jackson when he was charged with child molestation and actor Robert Blake when he was charged with murdering his wife.
Anthony could accept requests for paid interviews, or a benefactor may be able to help her in the short term, Mesereau said.
"When you have that degree of celebrity, there is usually somebody who would like to get involved," Mesereau said. "The problem is trusting anyone. People are willing to leak things to the media. They're willing to be paid off for information. It's very difficult to find people whom you can trust."
Casey Anthony's relationship with her parents is strained. During trial, Anthony's defense attorneys argued that her father, George Anthony, molested Casey as a child and covered up Caylee's death. He has denied both claims, and neither has been substantiated.
Anthony's parents had refused to act as media decoys when she left the Orlando jailhouse last week, their lawyer Mark Lippman told ABC News.
"Last night we got a call from Mr. Baez ... he had wanted to use my clients as decoys for the media and I, of course, did not agree with that and neither did my clients," Lippman reportedly said. "One, it was risky at best, and two, just in my opinion, something that would not be beneficial to anybody."
Anthony still faces a slew of legal problems even though the criminal charges have been resolved.
She has been sued for hundreds of thousands of dollars by a Texas group that searched for Caylee in the weeks after she was reported missing, and prosecutors are seeking to recoup the cost of their investigation into Caylee's disappearance.Video: New legal troubles for Casey Anthony (on this page)
Anthony also is being sued for defamation by a woman named Zenaida Gonzalez who claims she has been harassed and unable to find work after Anthony alleged Caylee was kidnapped by a baby sitter with Gonzalez' name. The woman's attorneys had wanted to depose Anthony before she left jail, but the deposition was rescheduled for October.
Any of those civil cases could put a major dent in any money Anthony receives for writing a book, signing a movie deal or doing interviews. Anthony is broke, and her defense team was paid for with taxpayers' money after $200,000 she received from ABC News was spent.
Several book publishers contacted by The Associated Press said they knew of no memoir that was being shopped around and consider her too tainted to sign a deal.
Anthony could avoid the potential liability of hundreds of thousands of dollars from the lawsuits by filing for bankruptcy, though plaintiffs would probably attempt to keep her on the hook for damages if she signs lucrative deals after filing, said R. Scott Shuker, an Orlando bankruptcy attorney.
An important step in building a new life is getting psychological help to cope with her notoriety, severed family ties and newfound freedom, said attorneys with clients in similar circumstances.
"Everything she has been through, that's more than most people can deal with in a lifetime," said Daniel Meachum, an Atlanta attorney who has represented football player Michael Vick when he was convicted of dog fighting and actor Wesley Snipes when he was convicted of tax evasion.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.