A man who dropped out of college just short of graduation in 1932 has earned his degree at age 99.
- KFC South Korea's New Double Down Sandwich Includes Three Animal Meats
- Elijah Wood and Peter Jackson Team Up for Epic Airline Safety Video
- Marcela Valladolid Expecting Second Child
- What's the One Beauty Sin the Rockettes Will Never Commit?
- Nick Jonas Talks Racy Photos, and How His Girlfriend Feels About His Sex Scenes
KTVZ-TV in Bend reports that Leo Plass, of Redmond, Oregon, received his diploma a few days ago from Eastern Oregon University in La Grande.
Plass says he was less than one semester away from graduating from what was then called Eastern Oregon Normal School and starting a career as a teacher.
But Plass says it was the Great Depression, and a teaching salary of $80 a month wouldn't cut it.Video: Medal of Honor recipient gets diploma at 90
So when a friend offered him a spot in a logging outfit at $150 a month, Plass says he couldn't pass it up.
Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.