A man who dropped out of college just short of graduation in 1932 has earned his degree at age 99.
- Bobbi Kristina Brown: Inside the Troubled Life of Whitney Houston's Daughter
- Bobbi Kristina & Nick: Their Love in Photos
- The Best SNL Sketches. Ever.
- Never Forget: Kathie Lee Gifford Sang the National Anthem at the Super Bowl 20 Years Ago (VIDEO)
- Bobbi Kristina's Husband Is Not the Bad Guy, Says Source
KTVZ-TV in Bend reports that Leo Plass, of Redmond, Oregon, received his diploma a few days ago from Eastern Oregon University in La Grande.
Plass says he was less than one semester away from graduating from what was then called Eastern Oregon Normal School and starting a career as a teacher.
But Plass says it was the Great Depression, and a teaching salary of $80 a month wouldn't cut it.Video: Medal of Honor recipient gets diploma at 90
So when a friend offered him a spot in a logging outfit at $150 a month, Plass says he couldn't pass it up.
Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.