A man who dropped out of college just short of graduation in 1932 has earned his degree at age 99.
- Jenny Slate Talks Marcel the Shell's New Video and Children's Book
- With Accused Killer in Jail, Oklahoma Town Mourns His Murdered Parents and Sister
- Miranda Lambert and Meghan Trainor to Duet on the CMA Awards: Will You Watch?
- The Daily Treat: Finally, There Is a Twerking Turtle
- Jenna von Oy's Blog: Why I'm Not Stressed over My Second Child
KTVZ-TV in Bend reports that Leo Plass, of Redmond, Oregon, received his diploma a few days ago from Eastern Oregon University in La Grande.
Plass says he was less than one semester away from graduating from what was then called Eastern Oregon Normal School and starting a career as a teacher.
But Plass says it was the Great Depression, and a teaching salary of $80 a month wouldn't cut it.Video: Medal of Honor recipient gets diploma at 90
So when a friend offered him a spot in a logging outfit at $150 a month, Plass says he couldn't pass it up.
Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.