A man who dropped out of college just short of graduation in 1932 has earned his degree at age 99.
- Sharon Osbourne Taking One-Month Break from The Talk After Collapsing
- Robert De Niro Gives Blunt, Funny, Inspiring Commencement Speech to Acting School Grads
- Chris Pratt Apologizes in Advance for Potential 'JurassicGate' and Misbehaving on Press Tour
- The Ups & Downs of the Duggar Family
- Kris Jenner Tries to Embarrass Daughters Kourtney and Kim Kardashian with a Throwback Pic of Their Model Poses
KTVZ-TV in Bend reports that Leo Plass, of Redmond, Oregon, received his diploma a few days ago from Eastern Oregon University in La Grande.
Plass says he was less than one semester away from graduating from what was then called Eastern Oregon Normal School and starting a career as a teacher.
But Plass says it was the Great Depression, and a teaching salary of $80 a month wouldn't cut it.Video: Medal of Honor recipient gets diploma at 90
So when a friend offered him a spot in a logging outfit at $150 a month, Plass says he couldn't pass it up.
Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.