A man who dropped out of college just short of graduation in 1932 has earned his degree at age 99.
- 5 Things to Know About World Cup Hero Carli Lloyd
- Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis Are Married
- #IBelieveWeCanWin: Celebrities Cheer Team USA to Victory During the World Cup Final
- FROM TIME: Greece Votes Against Austerity, Putting Role in European Union in Jeopardy
- Simon Cowell's Mom, Julie, Has Died: We 'Will Miss Her Terribly'
KTVZ-TV in Bend reports that Leo Plass, of Redmond, Oregon, received his diploma a few days ago from Eastern Oregon University in La Grande.
Plass says he was less than one semester away from graduating from what was then called Eastern Oregon Normal School and starting a career as a teacher.
But Plass says it was the Great Depression, and a teaching salary of $80 a month wouldn't cut it.Video: Medal of Honor recipient gets diploma at 90
So when a friend offered him a spot in a logging outfit at $150 a month, Plass says he couldn't pass it up.
Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.