A man who dropped out of college just short of graduation in 1932 has earned his degree at age 99.
- Kendall Jenner Posts Sweet Message to Bruce Jenner Before Heading Out of Town
- Kim Kardashian Shares Support for Bruce Jenner but Admits Transition Has Been an 'Adjustment' for the Family
- Sisters Missing for 2 Weeks Survive on Girl Scout Cookies And Cheese Puffs
- Patrick Schwarzenegger Shops with Friends Following Miley Cyrus Split
- Everyone Has a Theory About the New Royal Baby Outside St. Mary's Hospital
KTVZ-TV in Bend reports that Leo Plass, of Redmond, Oregon, received his diploma a few days ago from Eastern Oregon University in La Grande.
Plass says he was less than one semester away from graduating from what was then called Eastern Oregon Normal School and starting a career as a teacher.
But Plass says it was the Great Depression, and a teaching salary of $80 a month wouldn't cut it.Video: Medal of Honor recipient gets diploma at 90
So when a friend offered him a spot in a logging outfit at $150 a month, Plass says he couldn't pass it up.
Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.