Ready for romance? With the most lovey-dovey day of the year just around the corner, it’s best to look your best, whether you’re looking for love or you’ve already hooked up with that special someone. Here, from “Today” style editor Judy Gordon, are some great fashion and gift ideas that'll have everyone’s heart beating faster!
More from TODAY.com
Robin Williams' daughter Zelda returns to Twitter 'to say thank you'
"I just want to say thank you for all the stories and letters I've been receiving," she wrote early Tuesday morning, "espe...
- Mom's last dance with son at wedding 'most beautiful thing'
- Baby of pay-it-forward parents gets heart: 'He's a brave little boy'
- Facebook goes to the dogs! Pooch pics unleashed in hottest new group
- Reward for sweating? We drink more alcohol when we exercise
- Robin Williams' daughter Zelda returns to Twitter 'to say thank you'
What to wear?
Sexy, romantic, girly-girl? It’s yours for the choosing. Red and pink are the predominant colors, but black takes on a new feminine edge with pretty pink or red detailing. Romantic women will opt for Asian-inspired kimono robes, asymmetrical hemlines or classic silk nightgowns cut on the bias — short or long — with antique-type lace. Want to make a quick transition from oh-so-innocent to oh-so-naughty? Wear a sheer nightie or robe with ribbon trim. Sex kittens will also head straight for sheer, barely there pieces that combine lace and embroidery while girly-girls will favor retro styles, including chemise baby doll nighties or camis with pin-up inspired looks.
It’s what’s underneath that counts
Thongs in racy red and sexy boy-short bottoms are more popular than ever, but traditional hi-cut bikinis are still the most flattering, elongating the legs. And cami tops and bras with lace create a pretty picture. Whatever style or color you choose, matching your bra to your panties is a must. For that ooh-la-la! effect, put on a pair of fishnets and watch the temperatures soar.
What to give:
A gift of love is always special, of course, so go for the serious — or novelty — item, but nothing in between. Diamonds or a sterling silver three-wishes charm necklace — representing eternity, truth and wisdom — say it all, while chocolate-covered Chinese cookies are fun for giving and sharing. The man in your life may get a kick out of angel-devil cufflinks or a pair of boxer shorts with sassy sayings, going beyond the sappy “Be Mine.” And when in doubt, words of love — in a card or poem — do the trick. After all, it really is the thought that counts.
Happy Valentine’s Day!
What you saw on “Today”:
- Red silk kimono-style robe with long red silk gown. From Natori; robe, $250, gown, $170, slippers from Olivia Rose Tal
- Novelty boxer shorts from Banana Republic, $16.50.
- Navy and burgundy striped pajamas from Paul Stuart, $197.
- Pink georgette baby doll chemise with black sheer robe and pink ribbons; chemise from Oscar de la Renta Pink Label, $42; robe from Oscar de la Renta Navy Label, $98; slippers from Olivia Rose Tal.
- Red seamless bra and matching thong from Le Mystere; bra, $59, thong, $18 (portion of sales go to the American Heart Association's Go Red for Women campaign).
- Pink silk cami with black lace and matching tap pant. From Felina, $39 each
- Black tulle body suit with pink embroidered flowers. From La Perla, $305.
- Retro cami with pin-up girl’s boy-short panty with ruffles. From Loungewear Betty; cami, $56, panty $43.
- Heart-shaped hat with rhinestones. From Eugenia Kim, $235.
- Colored stay-up fishnets. From Wolford, $42.
- Sterling silver charm necklace with three pendants. From LinksofLondon.com, $490.
- Diamond heart-shaped earrings on gold wire. From KimberlyMcdonald.com.
- Angel/devil cufflinks. From Paul Stuart, $265.
- Chocolate-covered fortune cookies in take-out box. From zitomer.com, $15.
Judy Gordon is a New York-based style consultant and the “Today” show’s style editor. She has been covering fashion for the past decade and is the former style editor of Indie Magazine. You can visit her Web site, TheTrendReport.com, which highlights fashion trends in America. Check out the site for this week’s latest feature.
© 2013 MSNBC Interactive. Reprints