All 31 chairlifts are open this week at Vail Mountain, where more than 26 feet of powder covers 5,000 rugged acres. And staying there costs less than you might think: you can get a room at Vail Cascade, a luxury ski-in/ski-out resort and spa, for just $209 a night in March — an impressive 63 percent off the standard rack rate.
You can lock in that rate today by joining Vacationist, a members-only flash sale travel site, which offers great hotel deals every week.
(Disclaimer: Vacationist is produce by Travel + Leisure and Luxury Link.)
Private flash sale sites, which present tempting sales to a limited group of exclusive members, grew in popularity during the recession and continue to provide deals to savvy shoppers. In fact, in a recent newsletter, eMarketer predicted that the leading flash sites generated more than $900 million in revenue last year alone.
The trend may have started in the fashion sector, but travel consumers have flocked to the service. And now that the U.S. Travel Association predicts travel spending will increase by $1.3 million from 2009 to 2012, private travel flash sale sites are gearing up for big business.
Don't miss these Travel stories
Lords of the gourd compete for Punkin Chunkin honors
With teams using more than 100 unique apparatuses to launch globular projectiles a half-mile or more, the 27th annual Worl...
- Airports, airlines work hard to return your lost items
- Expert: Tourist hordes threaten Sistine Chapel's art
- MGM Grand wants Las Vegas guests to Stay Well
- Report: Airlines collecting $36.1B in fees this year
- Lords of the gourd compete for Punkin Chunkin honors
What’s on sale now? Vacationist is offering top winter hotel deals at award-winning properties. Besides the deal at Vail Cascade, you can grab a great discount at the 582-room Terranea, just south of L.A. It has all the trappings of an exclusive resort (Pacific Ocean views, eight restaurants, a 50,000-square-foot spa), but thanks to Vacationist, the price, at $213 a night, is 40 percent off the advertised rate.
Of course, there are lots of other great travel deals out there. Some of our current favorites:
- Caribbean Getaway from $95 a night: Jake’s, Jamaica (800-688-7677; islandoutpost.com; April 20 through December 2011).
- Weekend in Paris from $240 a night: Le Citizen, Paris (011-33-1-83-62-55-50; lecitizenhotel.com; year-round).
- Santa Fe Spa Escape from $179 a night: Inn and Spa at Loretto, Santa Fe (505-988-5531; innatloretto.com; year-round).
- Family Beach Vacation from $189 a night: Green Turtle Club and Marina, Bahamas Out Islands (800-370-4468; greenturtleclub.com; March through July 2011).
Copyright © 2012 American Express Publishing Corporation