If your holiday celebrations left you overstuffed, you’re not alone. Good news! This daily detox menu will blast away bloat, boost energy, burn fat, and ensure that you regain your mojo in just a few short days — but by all means, follow for up to a week if you want. It’s the perfect way to start the new year with a fresh, clean slate! The meals do not include meat or poultry — but you can eat fish, and they’re loaded with the ideal mix of antioxidants, protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals.
Here’s how it works:
- Follow the same daily menu for three to five days in a row.
- Eat only what is listed on the menu — no added sugar, honey, sugar substitute, salt, salad dressing, condiments, etc.
- Drink only what is listed on the menu — no soda, fruit juice, alcohol or diet beverages.
- Enjoy black coffee or tea at breakfast (regular or decaffeinated).
- Drink two 8-ounce glasses of water within 30 minutes of eating your lunch and dinner meals. Drink as much additional water as you’d like throughout the day.
- Drink one cup of regular or decaffeinated green tea after your lunch, afternoon snack and dinner.
- If you’d like to make this plan vegan, see simple substitutes at breakfast and dinner.
Ready, set, go.
Joy’s Protein Power Smoothie
In a blender, combine 3/4 cup skim milk (for vegan plan, substitute soy or almond milk), 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup frozen raspberries, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder (for vegan plan, substitute soy, rice, or pea protein powder), 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and 5 ice cubes. Blend until smooth and frothy. Optional black coffee or tea.
Drink two 8-ounce glasses water (with optional lemon) within 30 minutes of eating. Drink as much additional water as you’d like during the meal.
Large spinach salad
- Unlimited spinach leaves
- Unlimited antioxidant-rich produce (Best choices include bell peppers, tomatoes, carrots, red onions, broccoli, and sliced beets. You may also add cucumbers, mushrooms, celery, and cauliflower.)
- 1/2 cup red kidney, pinto, or black beans
- 1 tablespoon toasted, chopped pecans
- Dress with 1 teaspoon olive oil and unlimited balsamic or red wine vinegar
1 pink or red grapefruit
1 cup green tea
1/2 cup unsalted pistachio nuts (in shell)
1 cup green tea
More from TODAY.com
At Home with TODAY: Sheinelle Jones is inviting you for the holidays
Sheinelle Jones may be the newest kid on the TODAY block, but she’s already inviting you over for the holidays. As part of...
- Grab these secrets for 5 instant party appetizers
- 7 secrets of stylish travelers: Hint! leave the sweats at home
- Watch this boy realize Santa is actually his Air Force dad
- From iPads to Fitbits: How to set up your holiday tech gifts
- At Home with TODAY: Sheinelle Jones is inviting you for the holidays
Drink two 8-ounce glasses of water (with optional lemon) within 30 minutes of eating. Drink as much additional water as you’d like during your meal.
Unlimited baked, grilled, broiled, or poached fish — good choices include cod, halibut, haddock, and wild salmon, seasoned with fresh lemon and black pepper (for vegan plan, substitute sautéed tofu)
Unlimited steamed broccoli with optional fresh lemon and black pepper
1 cup green tea or naturally caffeine-free herbal tea
© 2013 NBCNews.com Reprints