Video: Sizzlin’ hot! Lakshmi's fiery recipes
Recipe: Fiery pepper pasta
- 1 pound dry spaghetti or thin spaghetti
- Approx. 1-2 tablespoons coarse sea salt
- 1 cup olive oil
- 4-5 peeled, crushed garlic cloves
- 2 cups diced green bell pepper*
- 2 cups diced red bell pepper*
- 1 tablespoon crushed red chili flakes
- Fresh chopped herbs like parsley or dill (optional)
1. Boil a large pot of water with salt on high heat until to a gently rolling boil. Toss and stir in pasta and cook to package instructions or al dente, usually 7-9 minutes.
2. While pasta is cooking, place a strainer at the ready in sink. Heat a skillet on medium heat and add olive oil. When hot, add bell peppers and then after 3-4 minutes add the garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally until peppers are softened and garlic is just barely turning golden but not brown.
3. Stir in chili flakes, and then remove skillet from heat before garlic turns dark as this will make it bitter.
4. Remember to remove and drain pasta in time and toss together with the peppers. Serve warm.
5. Stir in fresh parsley or dill.
(*Yellow and orange bell peppers are also nice instead)
Recipe: Hot berries and wine sauce
- 1 cup strawberries, chopped
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 3 whole cloves
- 3 tbs. sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1-2 tbsps. port wine
1. In a saucepan on medium-low heat, warm the berries, sugar, cloves and water. Stir until sugar is dissolved. (approximately 4-5 mins).
2. Now add port wine and continue stirring for 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to a simmer or very low and keep warm until ready to serve over ice cream or cake.
© 2013 NBCNews
Gallery: 15 recipes for hearty, delicious fall meals
Discuss: What did you think of this recipe?
How many stars would you give the dish? If you made changes, tell us how you customized it.
Download these apps to help keep track of your spending, locate your family, and easily use loyalty and rewards cards.