LONDON — Britain's Prince William announced Tuesday that he will marry long-time girlfriend Kate Middleton in 2011. Here are some highlights of their relationship:
September 2001: Prince William and Kate Middleton meet at Scotland's St Andrews University, where they were studying art history.
March 2002: William pays $315 to watch Kate modeling a sheer black lace dress over a black bra and bikini bottoms in a charity catwalk show.
September 2002: William and Kate move into a student house with two other friends for their second year of university.
- Katy Perry, Here's a Super Bowl Halftime Performance Game Plan For You
- Jian Ghomeshi Charged with Sexual Assault
- In the Spirit of Giving? Check Out Our Gifts That Give Back (and More Gift Ideas)
- Why Prince William Will Leave Kate at Home When He Flies to China and Japan
- Why We Give Thanks for FriendsGiving
June 2003: William invites Kate to celebrate his 21st birthday with a close group of friends at Windsor Castle. However, the prince insists in an interview that he does not have a steady girlfriend.
March 2004: William and Kate's romance is exposed after they are pictured together on the ski slopes at Klosters, Switzerland.
June 2005: William and Kate graduate in the same ceremony at St Andrews. They are joined by their families at a celebratory lunch.
More about the Royals
January 2006: William is photographed kissing Kate in public for the first time during a skiing break in Klosters. Days later, William begins army training at the Royal Military Academy in Sandhurst, England.
December 2006: Kate attends her first high-profile event with Queen Elizabeth II to watch William graduate as an army officer at Sandhurst.
April 2007: William and Kate split amid speculation that the prince's move to an army camp has strained their relationship.Slideshow: The lives of princes (on this page)
June/July 2007: Speculation mounts that the couple are back together after they are seen kissing and dancing together at a party. Kate also joins William at the Concert for Diana at London's Wembley Stadium.
April 2008: William comes under fire for using a $15 million Royal Air Force Chinook helicopter to visit Kate at her parents' home while on a training flight. Kate appears at William's side at his air force graduation ceremony, suggesting the couple's relationship has the approval of senior royals.
Only on NBCNews.com
- From belief to betrayal: How America fell for Armstrong
- US to Syria neighbors: Be ready to act on WMDs
- China: One-child policy is here to stay
- New 'Practice Range' shooter game says it’s from NRA
- 'Gifted' priest indicted in crystal meth case
- China's state media admits to air pollution crisis
- French to send 1,000 more troops to Mali
March 2010: Kate and William reportedly begin living in a cottage as "man and wife" in Wales, where he was training as a search and rescue pilot.
September 2010: Rumors of an engagement intensify as the couple spend a romantic weekend at Birkhall, Prince Charles's home on the queen's estate at Balmoral, Scotland.
October 2010: The Mail on Sunday reveals that the Royal Mint is making a commemorative coin in anticipation of a wedding.
November 2010: Kate and William announce their engagement.
© 2013 NBCNews.com Reprints