- Amanda Bynes Returns to Twitter, Blasts Her Family and Sam Lutfi
- See North West (and More Celeb Kids) Show Off Their Adorable Halloween Costumes
- Cindy Crawford's Daughter Wears Her Dresses, Taylor and Karlie Team Up & More Celeb 'Twinning' Moments
- Lady Antebellum Gets in the Halloween Spirit to Celebrate Their Latest No. 1
- Nicole Polizzi's 3 Tips for Being the Best Halloween Vintage Snooki
Once upon a time authors promoted their books by reading excerpts in tweed jackets at polite gatherings where wine and cheese were served. But today they’re expected to be social networking whizzes, blasting out tweets and Facebook posts and harnessing the awesome promotional power of the Internet.
Even former presidents.
YouTube viewers can watch George W. Bush promoting his new book "Decision Points" in which he says he wanted to take an "untraditional approach", opting against penning a chronological account of his life and two terms in office. Instead it will comprise reflections on 12 decisions he faced.
“I wanted to give readers a glimpse at the presidency from my perspective,” Bush said in the three-minute clip, which was posted earlier this month by Amazon.com and publisher Crown Books. The book publisher's promotional site for the book also links to the former president's Facebook page and a Twitter feed.
More about White House life
Some of the topics include his reasons for entering politics, the difficulty of the decision he made to run for president, and some of his early Oval Office choices, including his controversial policy on stem-cell research.
Bush said that the book opens with his retelling of his decision to stop drinking at age 40 and the role "faith" played in that decision. Later chapters will focus on the "horrors and heroism" of Sept. 11, 2001; the federal government's response to Hurricane Katrina; the decision to wage wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and the financial crisis facing America when Barack Obama took office.
"I reflect on what I got right, what I got wrong, and what I'd do differently if I had the chance," the former president said in the video.
More from TODAY.com
See TODAY’s ' 'Saturday Night Live' Halloween costumes
Live from Rockefeller Plaza, it's Saturday Night Live! Willie Geist and Tamron Hall kicked off TODAY's Halloween Boo-Nanza...
- Weather got you rattled? TV meteorologist gives forecast as a skeleton
- Cheetos, Clooneys, Slash and more: Celebs get creative for Halloween
- You can pickle that! Try these surprising foods and drinks
- Fido's sweet tooth makes for a scary Halloween bill
- See TODAY’s ' 'Saturday Night Live' Halloween costumes
Bush will sit down with TODAY's Matt Lauer for a prime-time special airing Nov. 8 and will appear live on TODAY Nov. 10.
The book, which will be released Nov. 9, will have a print run of 1.5 million copies — the same number given six years ago for Bill Clinton's "My Life."
"Decision Points" is already ranked fourth on Amazon.com's best-seller list for biographies.
The AP contributed to this report.
© 2013 MSNBC Interactive