PARKER, S.D. — This pumpkin weighs nearly enough to be Cinderella's coach.
South Dakota farmer Kevin Marsh of Parker knows his 1,674-pound pumpkin isn't pretty — it's won an ugliest pumpkin award at a Colorado event. But it's also only 51 pounds shy of the world record listed by the Great Pumpkin Commonwealth.
It's not the first big pumpkin Marsh has grown. One he grew earlier this year was 1,536 pounds, and he had one at 1,488 pounds last year.
More from TODAY.com
Okla. school first responders return to the wreckage: 'It's a sickening feeling'
Plaza Towers Elementary School took a direct hit from the tornado that ravaged Moore, Okla., and left few remnants of the ...
- Tornado victim separated from spouse: 'The house totally disappeared'
- Jodi Arias: Death penalty would be ‘revenge,’ not justice
- Blogger takes on Abercrombie over weight comments
- Mirren shares royal tea with cancer-stricken boy
- Okla. school first responders return to the wreckage: 'It's a sickening feeling'
Marsh says he doesn't have any big secrets for growing behemoth squash. He says he buries vines as they grow so they get double the amount of roots, and uses a lot of organic fertilizers.
Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.