Video: Getting saucy with Trisha Yearwood
Recipe: Watermelon salsa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lime zest (from about 1 lime)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from about 3 limes)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups seeded and finely chopped watermelon
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 8 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Tortilla or pita chips
Stir together the lime zest, lime juice, sugar and pepper. Add the watermelon, cucumber, jalapeño, onion and basil. Toss gently.
Chill the salsa until ready to serve and add the garlic salt just before serving. Serve with tortilla chips or pita chips.
Makes 3 cups
Recipe: Stuffed bell peppers
- 6 large red or green bell peppers
- 2 1/2 cups long-grain white rice (or rice of your choice)
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 medium-size sweet onion, such as Vidalia, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes, with their juices
- 1 10-ounce can Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 16 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Cut the bell peppers in half, top to bottom. Remove the seeds and the ribs. Set aside.
In a medium saucepan, cook the rice according to package directions.
In a medium skillet, brown the ground beef, onion and garlic. Drain the meat.
In a medium saucepan, bring the tomatoes to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, rice, tomatoes, pepper and salt and mix until blended.
In a 9 × 13 × 2-inch pan, place the bell peppers skin side down.
Evenly divide the beef mixture among the pepper halves. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes.
Remove the foil and sprinkle the cheese on the top. Return the pan to the oven, uncovered, for about 5 minutes, until the cheese melts.
© 2013 NBCNews
Make creamy coleslaw for your summer barbeque
Even if you’re dairy sensitive, you don’t have to miss out on delicious coleslaw. Celebrity chef Melissa d’Arabian demonst...
- Bake a deliciously creamy Key lime pie
- Serve up savory beef strips with creamy tomato sauce