ANCHORAGE, Alaska — Levi Johnston has acknowledged telling lies about Sarah Palin and her family after splitting with the former Alaska governor's daughter last year.
- Seattle Uber Users Were Riding Around Town, Mad Max-Style
- Kelly Osbourne Tweets Congrats to Melissa Rivers on Return of Fashion Police
- From EW: What Did Miley Cyrus Say About Joining Taylor Swift's Squad?
- Will Smith Examines the Dangers of Football in New Trailer for Concussion
- Suicidal Teen Allegedly Texted Friend, 'Let's Do a Romeo and Juliet,' Says Lawyer
The 20-year-old tells People magazine Tuesday that he "publicly said things that were not completely true," and "I owe it to the Palins to publicly apologize" for his "youthful indiscretion."
It's unclear which statements he was referring to, and Johnston could not immediately be reached for comment.
Johnston tells People he was "unhappy and a little angry" after breaking up with his former fiance, 19-year-old Bristol Palin, after their son's birth in December 2008. He says that he said false things against his better judgment.
More on Levi Johnston
Levi Johnston apologizes to Palins for ‘indiscretion’
He admits he said things publicly "that were not completely true." Full story
- Breakup with Bristol was mutual, Levi says
- Levi Johnston poses shirtless with baby in GQ
- Levi Johnston’s Playgirl cover to hit stands
- Levi Johnston apologizes to Palins for ‘indiscretion’
"Part of co-parenting is creating healthy and honest relationships between the parents," he said. "Tripp one day needs to know the truth and needs to know that even if a mistake is made the honorable thing to do is to own up to it."
Johnston says he has also privately apologized to Sarah Palin, the 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee, and her husband, Todd.
Representatives for Johnston could not be reached for comment. Sarah Palin's attorney, Thomas Van Flein, said she was unreachable for comment because she was in Bristol Bay involved in her family's commercial fishing business.
© 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.