Recipe: Tomato and bread salad
- 1 baguette or boule, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 English cucumber, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- 1/2 red onion, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 20 large basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
Toss bread cubes in olive oil. Place on a baking sheet. Toast bread, stirring occasionally, until golden brown (about 10 minutes). Let cool.
Whisk vinaigrette ingredients together in a bowl until emulsified. Season to taste.
In a large bowl, combine bread cubes, tomatoes, cucumber, yellow pepper, red onion and basil. Add vinaigrette and toss well. Season with lots of salt and pepper. Let sit for at least 30 minutes before serving so the bread can soak up all the juices.
Serve in Chinese takeout boxes with bright-colored chopsticks.