If you’re looking to buy a new springtime sack, I’ve done your handbag homework for you. Whether your personality is laid-back, quirky, conservative or trendy, there’s something for everyone this season. This biannual bag report features a slew of examples just for spring.
If you’re a laid-back kind of gal, you’ll be happy to hear that easy, breezy bags have never been more popular — so much so that denim is the fabric du jourfor high-end designers like Louis Vuitton, Lanvin and many more. Lots of mainstream designers have taken note, and many are offering a fresh take on the tote, constructing carryalls from cotton and even burlap. A no-fuss gal will find these fabrics to be irresistible on warm weekends thanks to their grab-and-go vibe. From utility sacks to hobos, there are lots of soft and slouchy styles to choose from.
- Louis Vuitton Monogram denim Sunshine bag, $2,330; 1-866-VUITTON
- Joe's Jeans Nash tote, $90; Piperlime.com
- Tarnish cotton hobo, $68; Nordstrom.com
- Urban Renewal & Kimchi Blue bucket bags, $38-$48; Urbanoutfitters.com
- Textured sequin bag, $44; Spiegel.com
- B.Bags by Barganza denim hobo and canvas messenger, $30-$35; 212-868-4596
- Roxy Back Alley handbag, $30; Tillys.com
- Green canvas bag, $20; Hm.com
For those who prefer a quirky twist, artsy and eclectic elements with handmade appeal are popping up all over this season. Beading, embroidery and appliqués are making your average everyday bag much more unique. Leading the way on the runway, Chanel showcased special crocheted creations and woven wonders, while Versace offered up mixed-motif designs. Many of these bags have a 3-D effect and experiment with more than one texture. These “special”-looking accessories feel especially fresh in such a mass-produced, modern time.
- Chanel handbags, priced upon request; 800-550-0055
- Versace cross body bag, $2,375-$2,895; 888-721-7219
- Big Bead bag, $99; Chicos.com
- JADEtribe Panada clutch and Nicole tote, $85-$128; Shopbop.com
- Nora laser-cut floral satchel, $110; Nicoleleeonline.com
- Jute gathered embroidered clutch, $98; Moynabags.com
- Mar y Sol Opal clutch, Guadeloupe tote, Jujube handbag, $79-$89; Madimports.net
- Capelli Crochet Toyo bag, $74; Endless.com
- Prezzo multicolored clutches, $50-$57; Ebags.com
- Multicolored straw clutch, $34; Newport-news.com
Spring’s smart satchels will woo women looking for sophistication. Structured frames covered in less serious fabrics are seasonally appropriate, yet perfectly polished. Prada’s Mistolino Tote made from hemp is the epitome of understated elegance, and Hollywood — namely Madonna, Victoria Beckham, Eva Mendes and Fergie — couldn’t wait for warm weather to step out with Dolce & Gabbana’s Miss Sicily raffia bag. Classic silhouettes in lighter-colored leathers and ladylike styles in straw, linen and canvas will offer an updated accent.
- Miss Sicily black leather and raffia bag, $1,775, dolcegabbana.com
- Prada Mistolino tote, $2,650; Prada.com
- Sidra camera bag in gray, $750; 31philliplim.com
- Rampage Roxy satchel, Gigi drawstring, Mykonos tote, $88-$108; Endless.com
- Wooden clutch, $98; Sondraroberts.com
- London Fog Paige hobo, $95; Endless.com
- Magid straw handbags, $55-$60; Ebags.com
- Straw wooden clutch, $40; Sashabags.com
Think hands-free and happy, thanks to a flock of cross-body bags and belt packs. After years of oversized bags dominating, finally bigger isn’t better. Good things do come in small packages, so be prepared to edit down your must-have essentials for this summer’s small sacks. Marc Jacobs and D&G were just a few designers who worked the fanny pack this season, while others opted to highlight little and light purses. There’s truly something for everybody — from boho to biker chic, sporty to studded and sexy.
- D&G Jeri bag, $795; Zappos.com
- Zip belt pack, $39; Ph8stores.com
- LeSportSac Frieda waist bag, $56; Shopbop.com
- Kooba Daniella studded leather bag, $345; Saks.com
- Woven Pendulum sling bag, $118; Anthropologie.com
- Fossil Mini Mini cross-body bags, $55; Macys.com
- SR Squared Nylon Twill Belt Bags, $40; Sondraroberts.com
- B.Bags by Barganza drawstring bucket with stud detail, $29.99; 212-868-4596
- Multi pocket barrel bag, $29.99; Aldoshoes.com
- Olsenboye cross-body bag, Bisou Bisou bucket bag, $12.99-$29.99; JCPenney.com
- Nylon Cordura fanny pack, $14; Americanapparel.net
Bobbie Thomas is TODAY’s Style editor and author of The Buzz column for In Touch Weekly.
© 2013 NBCNews.com Reprints