MIAMI — Food Network Iron Chef Michael Symon said he owed it all to the pastrami Thursday after his "Fat Doug" hamburger was named top burger at the South Beach Wine and Food Festival.
More from TODAY.com
Watch Jimmy Fallon's sweet surprise for his Marine vet father-in-law
Jimmy Fallon is a funny man. And, we suspect, he's a really great guy.
- Property Brothers share home repair tips — and prank the anchors!
- Ryan Reynolds talks baby girl James, fatherhood stresses on TODAY
- French editor: 'Convinced' alleged video from inside Germanwings jet is authentic
- Gonzo 'Humpty Dance' video is the latest hilarious Muppet mashup
- Watch Jimmy Fallon's sweet surprise for his Marine vet father-in-law
His winning burger — a beef patty topped with his own pastrami, Swiss cheese and coleslaw on a brioche bun — edged out a spice-crusted burger with slaw and barbecue sauce by fellow Food Network star Bobby Flay.
"It's unbelievable. We're here with some of the best chefs and some of my best friends," Symon said.
The award is part of the Burger Bash, an annual event at the festival hosted by Rachael Ray. Chefs from around the country gather on the beach for a massive grill session and let attendees vote for best burger.
Last year's winner, Spike Mendelsohn, this time offered up a burger topped with applewood smoked bacon and American cheese, as well as a cotton candy milkshake.
Symon's winning burger is a menu staple at his B Spot restaurant in Cleveland, Ohio.
Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.