MIAMI — Food Network Iron Chef Michael Symon said he owed it all to the pastrami Thursday after his "Fat Doug" hamburger was named top burger at the South Beach Wine and Food Festival.
More from TODAY.com
9 hilarious Halloween moments from KLG, Hoda as 'Wayne's World' hosts
Today marked a new high (or low) for Kathie Lee and Hoda as they traded their Spanx and wine glasses for ripped jeans and ...
- Jennifer Lopez talks heartbreak, being 'unworthy' of love on TODAY
- See TODAY’s ' 'Saturday Night Live' Halloween costumes
- Super, again: Neil Patrick Harris, Gotham family do Halloween right
- Moms with more than 2 kids are more productive at work, study finds
- 9 hilarious Halloween moments from KLG, Hoda as 'Wayne's World' hosts
His winning burger — a beef patty topped with his own pastrami, Swiss cheese and coleslaw on a brioche bun — edged out a spice-crusted burger with slaw and barbecue sauce by fellow Food Network star Bobby Flay.
"It's unbelievable. We're here with some of the best chefs and some of my best friends," Symon said.
The award is part of the Burger Bash, an annual event at the festival hosted by Rachael Ray. Chefs from around the country gather on the beach for a massive grill session and let attendees vote for best burger.
Last year's winner, Spike Mendelsohn, this time offered up a burger topped with applewood smoked bacon and American cheese, as well as a cotton candy milkshake.
Symon's winning burger is a menu staple at his B Spot restaurant in Cleveland, Ohio.
Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.