MIAMI — Food Network Iron Chef Michael Symon said he owed it all to the pastrami Thursday after his "Fat Doug" hamburger was named top burger at the South Beach Wine and Food Festival.
More from TODAY.com
30 Days to a Better You: Jenna gives her workout a makeover
Bored with your usual workout? Your muscles might be, too.
- Who said it: Lena Dunham or her 'Girls' character Hannah?
- Good Samaritan helps driver who had seizure, restores our faith in humanity
- U.S. probing terror concerns in missing Malaysian Airlines jet
- Airman returning from Afghanistan surprises kids
- 30 Days to a Better You: Jenna gives her workout a makeover
His winning burger — a beef patty topped with his own pastrami, Swiss cheese and coleslaw on a brioche bun — edged out a spice-crusted burger with slaw and barbecue sauce by fellow Food Network star Bobby Flay.
"It's unbelievable. We're here with some of the best chefs and some of my best friends," Symon said.
The award is part of the Burger Bash, an annual event at the festival hosted by Rachael Ray. Chefs from around the country gather on the beach for a massive grill session and let attendees vote for best burger.
Last year's winner, Spike Mendelsohn, this time offered up a burger topped with applewood smoked bacon and American cheese, as well as a cotton candy milkshake.
Symon's winning burger is a menu staple at his B Spot restaurant in Cleveland, Ohio.
Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.