Video: Celebrating sushi
Recipe: California roll
- 2 to 3 cups cooked and seasoned sushi rice, at room temperature
- 4 sheets of nori (dried seaweed)
- Toasted sesame seeds
- 1 avocado
- 3/4 cup fresh Dungeness crab meat
Peel avocado and cut it into thin 1-inch-thick strips. Cover a bamboo mat with plastic wrap. Put a sheet of dried seaweed on top of the mat. Spread a thin layer of sushi rice on top of the seaweed and press firmly. Sprinkle sesame seeds over the sushi rice. Turn the sushi layer over so that the seaweed is on top. Place avocado and crab lengthwise on the seaweed. Roll the bamboo mat forward, pressing the ingredients inside the cylinder-shaped sushi. Press the bamboo mat firmly with hands, then remove the rolled sushi. Cut the sushi roll into 1-inch bite-size pieces.
Makes 4 rolls
Recipe: Celebration 2010 roll
The Celebration 2010 roll is in honour of the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics.
- 2 pieces nori (half sheets)
- Prepared and cooked seasoned sushi rice
- 2 tsp Japanese mayo
- Dungeness crab
- Thin pineapple julienne strips
- Blanched asparagus
- Red tuna julienne strips, about 3 1/2 inches long x 1/4-inch wide
- Sockeye salmon julienne strips, about 3 1/2 inches long x 1/4-inch wide
- Red snapper julienne strips, about 3 1/2 inches long x 1/4-inch wide
- Egg crepe julienne strips, about 3 1/2 inches long x 1/4-inch wide
- Blanched spinach, drained and pressed into strips, about 3 1/2 inches long x 1/4-inch wide
Place half sheet shiny side down onto bamboo sushi mat. With dampened fingers, spread a thin layer of sushi rice evenly over nori, handling lightly. Turn the nori upside down with the rice facing downward onto the bamboo mat.
Spread a thin band of mayonnaise across the length of the nori in the middle. Place a thin row of crabmeat, pineapple and asparagus over the mayonnaise. Roll the sushi by grasping mat by front edge and rolling away from you firmly to enclose ingredients in center. Roll again to close completely. With your finger, brush a small layer of wasabi over the top of the roll.
Place carefully lying next to each other on diagonal, a red tuna strip, followed by spinach, then egg, then salmon, then snapper onto plastic wrap set onto a bamboo mat. Repeat until the whole length of the mat is covered. Place finished rice roll with the wasabi side facing down on top of the julienned strips and roll up tightly with the bamboo mat so that all the strips are atop the sushi roll.
When finished roll is done, cover the roll loosely with plastic wrap and cut through wrap and sushi roll with clean sharp knife into 5 to 6 pieces. Remove plastic wrap.
Makes 2 rolls (10 to 12 pieces)
© 2013 NBCNews
Jerrie Bhonde remembers heading to the bathroom to ride out the tornado with her husband, Hemant. The couple clung to each other inside the shower and waited.
- Names of victims released by medical examiner
- She was always happy: Families grieve victims
Go inside Plaza Towers Elementary School, where the wreckage offers clues to the tornados littlest victims.
- Littlest victims were 4 and 7 months old, state says
- Toby Keith tours his devastated hometown