Recipe: Chicken tagine
- For tagine
- 3 1/2 lbs fresh chicken, cut in eighths
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups fresh tomato, peeled, seeded and diced (canned also fine)
- 2 medium onions, peeled, diced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, peeled, minced
- 2 slices fresh ginger, peeled, minced (OR 1 tsp. ground dried)
- 2 tsps. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp. chopped fennel seeds
- 2 tsps. harissa
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (garbanzo)
- 3/4 cup dried apricots, roughly chopped
- For garnish
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds (toasted)
- 1/3 bunch fresh cilantro, washed, dried, roughly chopped
Place all ingredients in the slow cooker, place on medium-low heat setting and cook covered for approximately 3 1/4 - 4 hours, OR reduce to very low and cook 5-6 hours if you need to be away from it.
Remove from the cooker and place contents on large deep serving platter; sprinkle garnish on top before serving.
Serve with precooked orange lentils or instant couscous.
Recipe: Shrimp and scallop pan roast
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 strips bacon, minced
- 2 small cloves garlic, peeled, minced
- 2 small fresh shallots, peeled, minced
- 1 tbls. vermouth
- 3/4 cup light fish or chicken stock OR water is OK
- 1 medium potato, washed, diced fine (skin on best!)
- 8 medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and butterflied
- 8 medium sea scallops
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 2 tsps Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1 tsp good brandy
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp rough-chopped tarragon
- 2 tsps rough-chopped flat parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 1-inch-thick baguette croutons (toasted crisp)
In a medium saucepan heat oil and bacon on medium heat.
Add shallots and garlic, sweat without color until translucent.
Add vermouth, stock and potatoes; bring to a simmer. Cook 3 minutes until potato is tender.
Add shellfish and half-and-half; keep at gentle simmer for 2-3 minutes until shellfish is just cooked. Add cream, Worcestershire and Tabasco, bring to boil, then simmer 1 minute.
Remove from fire; add brandy, lemon, herbs and season. In a soup bowl place crouton on bottom, ladle shellfish and sauce equally over the bread, serve.
© 2013 NBCNews
Seven months after being devastated by the worst storm in New Jersey history, most of the beaches and boardwalks of the Jersey Shore are back and open for business in time for Memorial Day weekend.
- TODAY visits the Jersey Shore: A behind-the-scenes look
- RSVP: TODAY at the Jersey Shore
- Mel Evans / AP
Jurors in the high-profile Jodi Arias trial on Thursday failed to reach agreement over whether she should receive the death penalty for killing her ex-boyfriend.