LOS ANGELES — The urban drama "Precious" and the Leo Tolstoy period piece "The Last Station" each have earned a leading five nominations for the Spirit Awards that honor independent film.
More Entertainment stories
Autistic ballerina dances her way into hearts
- Every on-screen drink in 'Mad Men' in 5 minutes
- See the 'Dancing' stars' most memorable moves
- Emmy's biggest snubs? Cranston, Hamm, more
- 'Toy Story' toys burn up in prank on mom
- Autistic ballerina dances her way into hearts
The two acclaimed movies will compete for best feature film with the romance "500 Days of Summer" and the immigrant dramas "Amreeka" and "Sin Nombre."
The war-on-terror drama "The Messenger" ran second with four nominations, including best feature from a first-time director.
Also nominated for best first feature is the horror sensation "Paranormal Activity," which was shot for just $15,000 and has taken in more than $100 million at the box office.
The Spirit Awards will be held March 5, 2010.
Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.