1. Headline
  1. Headline
Image: Carrie Prejean
Steve Marcus  /  Reuters
Former Miss California Carrie Prejean was fired in June by pageant officials who said she missed scheduled appearances. Ensuing legal battles dredged up accusations about Prejean's gay marriage comments and breast implants.
updated 11/3/2009 6:30:17 PM ET 2009-11-03T23:30:17

The legal war between former Miss California USA Carrie Prejean and pageant organizers is over.

A joint statement released Tuesday says Prejean and the organizers of the pageant reached a confidential settlement on dueling lawsuits.

Prejean sued Miss California USA organizers in August for libel, slander and religious discrimination. She accused them of telling her to stop mentioning God even before her controversial remarks against gay marriage.

Prejean was fired in June after pageant officials accused her of missing events, an allegation that she denied.

Prejean's attorney maintained that his client was ousted because of controversial remarks in April during the Miss USA pageant that marriage should be between a man and a woman. Prejean's lawsuit also claimed that pageant officials improperly revealed that Miss California USA had paid for Prejean's breast implants.

The pageant countersued Prejean last month.

The statement released Tuesday says Prejean and the pageant "wish each other the best in their future endeavors."

The next Miss California USA will be crowned Nov. 22.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Video: Prejean: Controversy over appearances ‘is ridiculous’

Discuss:

Discussion comments

,

Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments

More on TODAY.com

  1. Pool / Getty Images

    Duchess Camilla's brother Mark Shand dies from head injury in New York

    4/23/2014 6:00:47 PM +00:00 2014-04-23T18:00:47
  1. Divers banned from ferry search: Korea 'not doing enough'

    Volunteer divers who were allowed into the water around the ferry during the first days of rescue operations say they’ve been banned from the search after some victims’ family members asked to only use military divers and civilian professionals.

    4/23/2014 6:52:49 PM +00:00 2014-04-23T18:52:49