Video: A twist on the classic BLT
Recipe: Scallop "BLT" sandwich
- 3 "lions paw" scallops
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces clarified butter
- 1 brioche plank
- 4 leaves Lola Rosa
- 2 slices applewood smoked bacon, cooked
- 1 tablespoon black pepper and chive aioli (see recipe)
- Heirloom tomato salad 6 ounces (see recipe)
Remove the connector muscle from each scallop. Season the scallops with salt and pepper.
Using a non-stick skillet, sear the scallops over medium heat with clarified butter for two minutes per side. Place the scallops on a hot platter and finish cooking in a dutch oven for three minutes. While the scallops are cooking, toast the brioche.
Once the brioche is toasted spread 1/2 tablespoon of the aioli on the bread. Place the bread on a serving dish and arrange the Lola Rosa, or your favorite greens, over the bread.
Break the bacon slices into three pieces and scatter them over the lettuce. Place the scallops over the bacon and place two ounces of the tomato salad over the top and around the scallops.
Place the remaining four ounces of the tomato salad at the opposite end of the serving platter. Serve immediately.
Note: Scallops should be cooked over medium heat. If the pan is over heated, the scallops will scorch.
Makes 1 serving
Recipe: Black pepper and chive aioli
- 3/4 prepared mayonnaise
- 1 clove fresh garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 piece anchovies (puréed to a paste)
- 1/2 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon Grana Padano cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon freshly sliced chives
Mince the fresh garlic with a micro plane, if available.
Working with a chilled mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Makes 1 cup
Recipe: Marinated tomato salad
- 2 heirloom tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons 12-year aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 sprigs basil
Wash the tomatoes. Core and rough chop the tomatoes.
Place the tomatoes in a medium-size mixing bowl and combine with salt and pepper. Allow the tomatoes to sit at room temperature for one hour.
Remove the stems from the basil and cut the basil very thinly. Combine the tomatoes with the balsamic vinegar, olive oil and basil.
Makes 4 servings
© 2013 NBCNews
North Korea fired three short-range missiles Saturday, South Korea’s Defense Ministry said, but the purpose of the launches was unknown.