1. Headline
  1. Headline

Video: Chris Brown apologizes for Rihanna incident

Access Hollywood
updated 7/20/2009 5:13:17 PM ET 2009-07-20T21:13:17

Chris Brown has made a public apology for an incident in February that sent his then girlfriend, Rihanna, to a hospital.

“Since February, my attorney has advised me not to speak out, even though ever since the incident I wanted to publicly express my deepest regret and accept full responsibility,” the singer said in a two-minute clip posted on his official YouTube channel on Monday. “Although I will do some interviews and answer some questions in the future, I felt that it was time that you heard directly from me that I am sorry.”

Brown pleaded guilty last month to one count of felony assault stemming from the Feb. 8 incident, where the singer allegedly beat Rihanna (real name Robyn Fenty), following a pre-Grammy party.

Under the deal Brown and his attorney, Mark Geragos, made with the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office, the singer was sentenced to five years probation, enrollment in a domestic violence counseling program and 180 days in a labor program in his home state of Virginia. Final sentencing by a judge will occur on Aug. 5.

In his YouTube posting, Brown said he has been examining his own character since the incident to try and figure out why he acted the way he did.

“God has been generous in giving me the ability which has brought me fame and fortune,” he said. “I have done a lot of soul searching and over the past several months I have talked with my minister and my mother and I spent a lot of time trying to understand what happened and why.”

Brown said he is aware that he let down many of his fans because of the altercation.

“I have let a lot of people down and I realize that and no one is more disappointed in me than I am,” he continued. “As many of you know, I grew up in a home where there was domestic violence and I saw firsthand what uncontrolled rage can do.”

The “With You” singer said he would strive to ensure such incidents are only a part of his past — not his future.

“I have started and I am continuing to seek help to ensure that what occurred in February can never happen again,” he said. “And as I sit here today, I can tell you that I will do everything in my power to make sure that it never happens again — and I promise that.

“What I did was unacceptable — 100 percent,” he continued. “I can only ask and pray that you forgive me, please.”

Copyright 2013 by NBC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Discuss:

Discussion comments

,

Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments

More on TODAY.com

  1. Katy Winn / AP file

    'For poppo': Robin Williams' daughter shows off tattoo tribute to dad

    10/23/2014 3:35:01 PM +00:00 2014-10-23T15:35:01
  1. Reports: 'We are sorry,' says Ottawa shooter's mom

    The mother of the Ottawa parliament attack gunman said Thursday she was crying for the victims of the shooting, not her son, according to The Associated Press.

    10/23/2014 3:51:20 PM +00:00 2014-10-23T15:51:20
  1. Funny or Die

    Watch Brad Pitt take Zach Galifianakis' insults on 'Between Two Ferns'

    10/23/2014 3:48:58 PM +00:00 2014-10-23T15:48:58
  1. NBC News

    Exclusive: Ebola survivor Ashoka Mukpo speaks to NBC News

    10/22/2014 10:32:23 PM +00:00 2014-10-22T22:32:23