Recipe: Wee burgers
- 1 pound ground beef sirloin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons steak sauce or Worcestershire sauce
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 mini burger buns or standard rolls
1. In a medium mixing bowl, break up ground beef by hand and season with salt and pepper.
2. Whisk together egg yolk and steak sauce and add to ground beef. Continue mixing everything by hand.
3. Using about 2 tablespoons of ground beef for each, roll beef gently into 12 equal balls and gently press down to make 1/2-inch-thick patties. Make a thumb-indentation in the middle of each patty.
4. Place all toppings on a serving platter and refrigerate until burgers are cooked.
5. Heat olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium-hot heat. Cook burgers about 3 minutes on each side. Add cheese squares once done. Melt cheese a little and remove from heat to stand for a few minutes.
6. For crispy buns, place cut-side down on the skillet to lightly brown.
7. Build your mini burgers, adding a dollop of ketchup, mustard, or mayonnaise on bottom half of bun. Layer mini patty, tomato, lettuce, pickle and the top half of bun. You might want to use a decorative toothpick through each mini burger to help hold them together until you serve.
1. Find a helpful man (if that’s helpful)
2. Have him heat a charcoal or gas grill, whatever he prefers
3. Mix him his favorite cocktail while he monitors the grill temp.
4. When he says the grill is ready, bring him the beautifully pattied burgers, arranged lovingly over waxed paper on a festive platter.
5. Arrange toppings and condiments on platters and in bowls. Heat your buns.
6. Refresh your helpful man’s drink as needed.
7. Provide him with toppings to be grilled and cheeses to be melted when requested.
8. When the burgers are ready to be served, be sure to praise your helpful man, thank him for his efforts and remind him to clean the grill.
LuUu clue: For homemade baby-buns — I prefer to use Pillsbury refrigerated French bread dough. Cut into equal parts, roll into balls, dip top of dough ball into egg whites, then dip into sesame seeds and bake at 350 for 25 minutes. One package will make 12 buns.
Ingredients are the same as for the wee burgers, but make patties for the grill, and use regular size hamburger buns.
Wee burgers toppings (optional):
Cherry tomatoes, cut in small rounds
Green leaf lettuce, torn in tiny pieces
3 slices cheese, each cut into 4 equal squares
Small pickle slices
Ketchup, mustard, or mayonnaise
Other toppings with burger bliss:
Cheese almost any
Iceberg, green leaf, romaine lettuce
Grilled, raw onion
Colored bell peppers
Soy-ginger, pesto, wasabi or chipotle mayonnaise
12 mini burgers, 6 regular size burgers