Shock jock Don Imus will return to the airwaves Dec. 3 after eight months of a well-paid hiatus brought about by a racist and sexist remark that once seemed certain to permanently silence his broadcasting career.
Citadel Broadcasting Corp. made the announcement Thursday, confirming long-rumored reports that Imus was coming back to morning drive time on New York-based WABC-AM.
The cantankerous Imus was fired April 12 by CBS Radio amid a firestorm of controversy over his “nappy-headed hos” remark about the Rutgers University women’s basketball team.
“We are ecstatic to bring Don Imus back to morning radio,” said WABC radio President and General Manager Steve Borneman. “Don’s unique brand of humor, knowledge of the issues and ability to attract big-name guests is unparalleled. He is rested, fired up and ready to do great radio.”
Imus will return with his longtime newsman, Charles McCord, and other members of his morning team, Citadel said in announcing the move. It did not specifically mention Bernard McGuirk, the producer who instigated Imus on the Rutgers comment and was fired as well.
No financial details were made public in the four-paragraph announcement of Imus’ return. Imus’ attorney, Martin Garbus, confirmed the deal, but did not elaborate on the details.
There was also no word on syndication or any TV deal for the Imus show. His “Imus In the Morning” program aired on more than 70 stations and the MSNBC cable network. (MSNBC is a joint venture between Microsoft and NBC Universal.)
Imus will replace the morning team of Curtis Sliwa and Ron Kuby on the Citadel Broadcasting-owned station. The pair had hosted the WABC drive-time show for nearly eight years, and Kuby said he was told Thursday afternoon not to show up for work on Friday.
“I’ve had a fantastic, great run,” Kuby said. “Our show has enjoyed the best audience — intelligent, compassionate, decent and kind. The new owners don’t want that kind of show.”
Las Vegas-based Citadel bought WABC and other ABC radio stations from Walt Disney Co. last year.
Then the acid-tongued broadcasting icon was fired after his remark about the Rutgers team sparked a national furor and calls by civil rights leaders and broadcast journalists for him to resign.
But just three months later, Sharpton, one of the strongest voices calling for the shock jock’s firing, said Imus had a right to make a living and could return to radio.
Citadel Broadcasting CEO Farid Suleman also recently defended Imus, telling The New York Times in a recent interview: “He didn’t break the law. He’s more than paid the price for what he did.”
Sharpton said Thursday that Citadel needs to meet with advertisers and black groups to explain how they plan to prevent the radio host’s return to “his former vile and biased behavior.”
More Entertainment stories
Autistic ballerina dances her way into hearts
In a popular YouTube video, the beaming little ballerina dances an entire four-minute routine seemingly perfectly, matchin...
- Every on-screen drink in 'Mad Men' in 5 minutes
- See the 'Dancing' stars' most memorable moves
- Emmy's biggest snubs? Cranston, Hamm, more
- 'Toy Story' toys burn up in prank on mom
- Autistic ballerina dances her way into hearts
“Mr. Imus has the right to make a living, but we have the right to make sure he does not come back to disrupt our living,” Sharpton said. “Particularly since these are commitments he made personally.”
Prospects of Imus’ widely anticipated return have outraged critics including the National Association of Black Journalists and the National Organization for Women, who said the idea of the icon returning to the airwaves months after he was fired is nearly as insulting as the comment that took him off the air.
Just before his dismissal, Imus signed a five-year, $40 million contract with CBS. He threatened a $120 million lawsuit after he was fired, but settled in August for an undisclosed amount of money.
Suleman’s WABC-AM is already home to several syndicated hosts: Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and Mark Levin. Imus’ national presence would trump the local Arbitron ratings, where his WFAN-AM show consistently drew fewer listeners than Sliwa and Kuby.
“Having Don Imus join the WABC galaxy of stars is certainly an amazing addition to our station and for our company but most importantly, the real winners are morning radio listeners everywhere,” Borneman said.
Citadel owns more than 240 radio stations around the country. The company used to air Howard Stern’s syndicated show on some stations, but yanked him in 2005 as he prepared to make the move to satellite radio.
© 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.