Recipe: Blue Smoke Seared Lamb Chops with Mint Julep Butter
- 1 cup very finely and neatly cut shallots
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fine sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3/4 cup Jim Beam Bourbon
- 1 tablespoon crème de menthe
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup finely cut fresh mint
- 1 pound butter, softened but not melted
Melt some butter in a saucepan and very gently sweat the shallots until soft, but NO COLOR. Season with the salt, pepper, sugar and cayenne. Add the Jim Beam and allow to reduce to a syrup. Be careful — it might flame up.
Transfer to a mixing bowl set over ice and add the butter, mint, crème de menthe and lemon juice. Beat well with a rubber spatula until well incorporated. Chill.