PARIS — The French publishers of the Harry Potter books said Monday they are not seeking damages from a 16-year-old who allegedly posted an unauthorized translation of the final book in the series online.
- Nick Jonas Can't Wait to Be Slimed as Host of the Kids' Choice Awards
- Miley Cyrus, Ashton Kutcher Slam Indiana Governor over Anti-Gay Legislation
- Conan O'Brien Learns Never to Ask Will Ferrell About His Bird (VIDEO)
- Andy Cohen on Why He Hearts New York City: 'I Didn't Move Here to Sleep'
- Website Posts Anorexic Woman's Photos in List of 'Amazing Weight Loss Transformations'
The boy spent a night in jail last week in the southern city of Aix-en-Provence and was questioned by prosecutors before being released. The case is still under preliminary investigation by the French judicial police, and it is up to investigators to decide whether to try to bring the case to trial.
Publishing house Gallimard Jeunesse, which is releasing the official French translation of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” Oct. 26, will not seek damages or file suit against the boy, spokeswoman Marie Leroy-Lena said.
Since the boy told prosecutors he was not looking for monetary gain, and that he worked alone on the translation and not as part of a criminal network, Gallimard sees no reason for him to be prosecuted, she said.
The unofficial French translation appeared online within days of the July 21 release of the 759-page book. The boy was detained Aug. 6 and released the next day.
“Deathly Hallows” has topped best seller lists since its release, selling 11.5 million copies in its first 10 days worldwide.
© 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.