1. Headline
  1. Headline

Video: Rosie battles again on ‘The View’

updated 5/24/2007 10:42:02 PM ET 2007-05-25T02:42:02

Watching Rosie O’Donnell and Elisabeth Hasselbeck squabble on ABC’s “The View” is nothing new, but Wednesday’s dustup seemed particularly nasty with the co-hosts trading accusations and personal digs.

A political discussion over the war in Iraq became heated when an angry O’Donnell decried Hasselbeck for not standing up for her when media outlets suggested that she’d called U.S. troops “terrorists” during a previous debate.

“What you did was not defend me. ... I asked you if you believed what the Republican pundits were saying — you said nothing, and that’s cowardly,” O’Donnell said.

Responded a stern Hasselbeck: “Do not call me a coward, because No. 1, I sit here every single day, open my heart and tell people what I believe.”

O’Donnell and Hasselbeck were shown on a split screen as the argument progressed without commercial interruption.

“Do you believe that I think our troops are terrorists? And you would not even look me in the face, Elisabeth, and say, ‘No, Rosie,’ ” O’Donnell said.

Responded Hasselbeck: “Because you are an adult, and I am certainly not going to be the person for you to explain your thoughts. They’re your thoughts! Defend your own insinuations!”

O’Donnell, who is leaving the ABC daytime talk show next month, said she wasn’t going to fight anymore. “So for three weeks, you can say all the Republican crap you want.”

Hasselbeck discussed the war of words in an interview with syndicated entertainment show “Extra” that was to air Wednesday evening.

Video: ‘View’ to a kill “I honestly think, I believe that we are mature women who can resolve,” she said. “I hope we can. I would hope that a disagreement or a heated debate wouldn’t be the end of a relationship.”

In a posting on her blog, O’Donnell wrote: “a split screen, new heights, or lows, depending on who u ask.”

© 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Discuss:

Discussion comments

Most active discussions

1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments

More on TODAY.com

1. TODAY

video Keir Simmons reports: Conspiracy theories grow around MH17

7/23/2014 11:28:28 AM +00:00 2014-07-23T11:28:28
  1. Why 7 hours of sleep a night may be better than 8

For years, we’ve heard that we need a solid eight hours of sleep. And, for years, we’ve heard that we’re terrible at getting it. Well, what we’ve heard might be wrong.

7/23/2014 11:34:13 AM +00:00 2014-07-23T11:34:13
  2. How much sleep do you get? Take our survey
  1. FeaturePics.com

Fetuses can learn nursery rhymes from mom's voice, study finds

7/23/2014 10:53:36 AM +00:00 2014-07-23T10:53:36
  1. Jenna Bush Hager: 5 things I've learned from my Gampy

My grandfather has really always astonished me. On this milestone — his 90th birthday — I thought about how much I have learned from him.

7/23/2014 10:43:31 AM +00:00 2014-07-23T10:43:31
  2. video George H.W. Bush talks to TODAY about turning 90

video Check out the extended, full-length interview that President George H.W. Bush gave to his granddaughter, TODAY correspondent Jenna Bush Hager, around his 90th birthday parachute jump.

7/3/2014 8:13:54 PM +00:00 2014-07-03T20:13:54
  3. video Barbara Bush to son: Your dad was the best president

video TODAY correspondent Jenna Bush Hager talks with her grandmother, first lady Barbara Bush, and her father, President George W. Bush, about their picks for history’s best president and first lady.

7/22/2014 8:17:09 PM +00:00 2014-07-22T20:17:09