Recipe: Spicy Plantain Chips
- 2 green plantains
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 lb. (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 cups Canola oil
1. Peel the plantains and slice as thin as possible. Place in a bowl, cover with cold water and let soak for 10 minutes to wash away excess starch. Drain, rinse and blot thoroughly dry with paper towels.
2. Meanwhile, combine curry powder, sugar, and salt in a small bowl.
3. Melt the butter in a large deep pot over medium heat, then add enough oil to come to a depth of 1 1/2 inches. Increase heat to medium-high and heat to the oil 350 degrees.
4. Working in batches, carefully lower the plantains into the oil with a slotted spoon and fry, stirring occasionally to prevent the slices from sticking together, until evenly browned — about 4 minutes.
5. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels. Dust with a little sugar and serve.