Recipe: Crisp Pan-Fried Noodle Cake
- 1 pound fresh Chinese egg noodles, or 12 ounces dried pasta
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chile paste, or to taste, optional
- 1/2 cup minced scallion or garlic chives, plus some for garnish
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil; cook the noodles in the water until tender but not mushy. Drain, then toss with the soy sauce, chile paste, scallion, and sesame oil.
2. Put 2 tablespoons of oil on the bottom of a heavy medium to large skillet, preferably non-stick; turn the heat to medium-high. When the oil is hot, add the noodle mix, spreading it out evenly and pressing it down.
3. Cook 2 minutes, then turn the heat to medium-low. Continue to cook until the cake is holding together and is nicely browned on the bottom, about 10 minutes. Turn carefully; the easiest way to do this is to slide the cake out onto a plate, cover it with another plate, and invert the plates. Add the remaining oil to the pan, then slide the cake back into the skillet, browned side up.
4. Cook on the other side until brown. Garnish with scallions or chives, cut into eighths or quarters, and serve.
Prep time: 30 minutes
4 to 6 servings