Recipe: Roasted Dumpling Squash
- 2 dumpling squash, about 1 pound each
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons amaretto liqueur
- 8 fresh sage leaves
- 1/2 pound crushed pignoli cookies
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Split the squash in half through the equator and scrape out the seeds with a spoon. Set the squash halves, cut sides up, on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
In a bowl, cream the butter with the sugar, and almond liqueur. Brush the cut sides of each squash half with the butter mixture and put 2 sage leaves on top of each. Sprinkle with the crushed cookies. Bake until tender, 30 to 35 minutes, basing every 15 minutes with any remaining butter.