Winning recipe of TODAY's Burger Battle is ...
3 TODAY viewers compete for best burger titlePlay Video
Siri Pinter makes bow-tie pasta with arugula pesto
A week's worth of mouth-watering summer desserts
Strawberry shortcake recipe from Al is a summer favorite
Slow-cooker triple chocolate brownies are an easy summer treat
TODAY searched the country for the best burger recipes and narrowed it down to three finalists. After preparing their take on the classic dish, Giada De Laurentiis picked the winner on-air. Find the winning recipe here.
- 3 (1/4 lb.) patties of ground sirloin
- 3 teaspoons of sea salt
- 3 teaspoons of course pepper
- Fresh cut lettuce
- 3 avocado slices
- Finely chopped sweet onion
- 3 fresh tomato slices
- Thinly sliced fresh jalapeno slices
- 2 slices of American cheese
- 1 slice of pepper jack cheese
- 1/3 cup of fresh cilantro
- Mustard and ketchup to taste
- Fresh onion hamburger bun
1) Ground out your quarter pound ground sirloin patties in a thin round fashion. Apply the sea salt and pepper liberally on both sides of each patty, cover and refrigerate for an hour. Fire up the grill with charcoal to get it good and hot. 2) Sear the seasoned sirloin patties once the grill reaches 450 degrees to get good grill marks on both sides; grill each patty to cooked preference, add the cheeses to the patties and cover for another minute. Lightly butter the onion bun and place on the grill for another minute to get a firmly toasted foundation and cover. 3) Take the bottom and the top of the bun and spread mustard and ketchup down, then add the first sirloin patty on the base of the bun with the melted American cheese. Smother with lettuce, sweet onion, and 3 to 4 thinly sliced jalapenos. 4) You will then add the second sirloin patty with pepper jack cheese, smother with cilantro, then place the 3 avocado slices on the bed of cilantro. Add some additional cilantro on top of the avocado because of the slippery texture. 5) Finally, add the final sirloin patty with American cheese and again smother with lettuce, sweet onion, and 3 to 4 thinly sliced jalapenos. Then add the 3 tomato slices, then place the top of the bun to complete the burger. Viola!