Mussel dishes are some of the most popular items on Vancouver menus. Here, chef Nico Schuermans of Chambar restaurant shares his recipe for mussels that can be eaten right out of the pot.
- 1 1/2 pounds mussels (cleaned)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup brown onions (julienne)
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 celery stem (julienne)
- 1/2 leek (julienne)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 ounce butter
- 1/2 tablespoon ground fennel seed
- 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 tablespoon coarse black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup parsley
At medium to high temperature, heat vegetable oil in a 2- to 3-liter pot on stovetop. Add brown onions and garlic and allow to cook until tender. Add all cleaned mussels, then add fennel seed, coriander, black pepper, salt and butter. Cover and cook for approximately 3-5 minutes. Add celery and leek. Simmer until mussels have opened. Add green onion and parsley. Serve immediately.