Looking to get fit but still enjoy your food? Cheryl Forberg, nutritionist for “The Biggest Loser,” shares three calorie-saving recipes from the book “The Biggest Loser 30-Day Jump Start”— including Southwestern turkey salad wraps, pesto pizzettas and a pumpkin smoothie — to help you shed those unwanted pounds while still eating tasty meals.
- 1⁄2 cup plain fat-free Greek-style yogurt
- 2 tablespoons low-sugar barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 16 ounces cooked boneless, skinless turkey breast or turkey tenders, cut into short, 1⁄2"-thick strips
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried prunes or dried cherries or other berries
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 6 La Tortilla Factory whole-grain tortillas (7" diameter)
- Chopped romaine lettuce (optional)
- Diced fresh tomato (optional)
To make the dressing: In a medium mixing bowl, combine the yogurt, barbecue sauce, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, and coriander. Set aside.To prepare the turkey salad: Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for about 4 minutes, or until soft and just beginning to brown. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer, but don’t allow it to brown. Add the turkey and cook, stirring frequently, for about 4 minutes, or until it’s just cooked through and no longer pink. Remove the turkey from the heat and season with the salt. Add the turkey mixture to the dressing in the mixing bowl, then add the prunes and cilantro. Stir to combine. To assemble the wraps: Place about 1⁄2 cup of salad on each warmed tortilla. Add the lettuce and tomato, if desired, and roll up the tortillas, burrito-style. The turkey salad is equally delicious served without the tortillas.
Nutritional information: Per serving, without tortilla: 180 calories, 21 g protein, 15 g carbohydrates (8 g sugars), 3 g fat (0 g saturated), 45 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 200 mg sodium
- 1 tube (24 ounces) precooked, ready-to-heat polenta (see note), cut into twelve 1⁄2" slices
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto or bottled pesto (see note)
- 1⁄4 roasted red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 4 artichoke hearts, thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup shredded low- or reduced-fat mozzarella or Italian cheese blend
- Fresh basil or thyme
Preheat the oven to 400° F. Spray the polenta slices lightly with olive oil cooking spray and place them on a baking sheet. Bake the polenta for 8 minutes. While it’s baking, place all the toppings in small bowls for quick and easy assembly. Turn the polenta slices over and bake for 8 minutes longer. Remove the polenta from the oven and turn on the broiler. Top each baked polenta round with 1 teaspoon of marinara sauce. Add 1⁄2 teaspoon of pesto, a strip of roasted bell pepper, artichoke slices, and 1 tablespoon of cheese. Broil the pizzettas for about 3 minutes, or just until the cheese is melted, bubbly, and light golden. Remove the pizzettas from the oven and top them with the fresh herbs. Serve immediately. Leftovers reheat well the next day!
Note: Precooked polenta is usually found refrigerated in the produce department, or near the dried polenta in the pasta aisle. Bottled pesto is slightly higher in calories and fat. Nutritional information: Per serving: 80 calories, 4 g protein, 10 g carbohydrates (1 g sugars), 2 g fat (1 g saturated), 5 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 68 mg sodium.
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree, fresh or canned
- 1/2 cup fat-free Greek-style yogurt and extra for garnish
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 5 ice cubes
- A pinch of ground nutmeg
Combine the pumpkin, yogurt, milk, nectar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and ice in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour the smoothie into a chilled glass and garnish with a dollop of yogurt and a sprinkle of nutmeg.
Nutritional information: Calories: 132.7; Monounsaturated Fat (g): .1; Total Sugars (g): 24.6; Calories From Fat (kcal): 2.6; Cholesterol (mg): 2.5; Calories From Sat Fat (g): 1.5; Sodium (mg): 75.6; Protein (g): 6.1; Total Fat (g): .3; Potassium (mg): 399.5; Vitamin A: 3188.7; Saturated Fat (g): .2; Carbohydrates (g): 27.4; Vitamin C: 3.6